What to do before starting my first tank?

Benogan

Hi community!

I just signed up today after being referred from a reefers forum since I live in the area. I've always been fascinated by reef tanks but moved around too much in and have always been too busy to really get into this hobby. Lately I've been trying to watch beginners videos, read what I can, and learn, so that soon I can setup my first tank.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed-- there's so much information and I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to rush into this and buy a tank/setup that I'll regret later. I'd like to spend some time learning and understanding what to expect while keeping an eye out for good deals on supplies (I'm on a tight budget). 

Any advice on where to start? How to get all the knowledge I need to make my first go at this as successful as possible?

Additionally, any advice on where to learn about budget builds? I want to make sure that I don't blindly follow someones build without realizing that saving an extra 100$ on something was totally not worth it. 

I started reading Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies to get my feet wet and hoping to dive in sometime this summer or early fall with my first tank!

Thanks for the help!

A book that really helped me figure out all this was Tony Varga's: The Coral Reef Aquarium, From Inception to Completion. 

It discusses just about everything to consider when setting up a tank, different methods, and then ends with a fantastic series of pictures of nano-giant tanks all over the world in the back, one of them being our very own Copps's old 10 gallon kitchen nano.

Also, joining here is part of the right track as well, welcome to the community! 

Wetwebmedia.com is a great resource!

A million and one videos on youtube also.

The problem is that you will find a lot of contradictory information and anecdotal claims. My best advice would be to find a reefer friend or store that you trust, And try to replicate what they are doing to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you located? You might be able to find some reefers local to you who wouldn’t mind showing you their set ups and to run some ideas through

Decide what you like more, corals or fish or both?  It can end up being a very different tank. 

Fish only seems like easier and cheaper, but for many it is a gateway drug to a full blown reef tank at which point you might be looking at a teardown and rebuild. It starts with just a few zoas and "softies" here and there, heh.

The advise of finding a local reefer to help is a good one. Being able to see a few setups and get in person advice from people can be invaluable. Plus most of us will help you try to avoid the mistakes we all inevitably make.

(edited)

Where are you located? You might be able to find some reefers local to you who wouldn’t mind showing you their set ups and to run some ideas through

I'm located in Ellicott City.

Decide what you like more, corals or fish or both?  It can end up being a very different tank. 

Fish only seems like easier and cheaper, but for many it is a gateway drug to a full blown reef tank at which point you might be looking at a teardown and rebuild. It starts with just a few zoas and "softies" here and there, heh.

I'd like to start with Fish only and then add some corals. 

What size tank do you have in mind?

I don't want to go too big, but I know bigger is easier. I was thinking somewhere in the 20-50 gallon range to start.

Also one other thing-- I noticed there's not really any local shops showing up when I google map search-- can anyone make a recommendation on a local shop I can visit to start getting more ideas?

Edited by Benogan

I'm leaning towards getting an all-in-one to start, but I know I'll probably want to upgrade later. I just think an all-in-one would be easier for me to get started and comfortable.

Oh man you are right next to Matt in Ellicot City. Go see his system before you make any decisions for sure. There are many in Columbia, Crofton, Glen Burnie, etc on here too that have stunning setups as well. AIO are great little starter tanks, but really limit you on fish, so don't be in a rush to get a tang or such that needs something much larger in the long run. I know I started with a simple 20L many years ago and thus far have went up to a 150G display with a 55G sump. Me personally I would start with a simple drilled 40B setup as that will save cost compared to paying for an AIO like IM/Red Sea. 36x18 is really easy to work with and learn from if wanting to stay smaller. It is always hard in the beginning as smaller can be harder to take care of, but at the same time is much cheaper for all the parts needed vs. larger is a little more forgiving, but adds cost for equipment and such. Just got to decided what your budget is overall for getting your feet wet in this hobby. 

Hey, yeah like Aaron said drop me a PM and we can work out some time for you to come check out my system. I have a 90G, with 40G sump, and 20 gallon frag tank system. Mostly Acro's but I have a fair bit of other corals like a huge Pipe Organ, some Zoa's, and gorgonians.  I live on Old Mill Rd right off of Route 99 in Ellicott City and I am always happy to help out local folks, there don't seem to be many of us in central/northern Maryland for some reason. 

There is not much in the way of shops out by us. There's the pet store in Columbia near the Costco that has some selection but not a lot. Fintastic over in Frederick is another option, and then House of Tropicals over in Glen Burnie are the three options within a reasonable distance for us. If you can make the trip there are some really amazing stores down in Virginia (many of them are WAMAS sponsors) and a visit in person to Pacific East Aquaculture over on the eastern shore is a must at some point in my opinion.

Like I said though, drop me a line. I have a 20-30G acrylic sump that has been hanging out in my attic for years, assuming it still holds water (which is should) you're welcome to it for free. (Not above bribing folks who live nearby to increase the number of us in northern MD. :laugh: )