Floor Reinforcement

Hunter0906

Good morning I try to move 300 gallon tank to the first floor in the family room but I need reinforcement the floor first if u done this before any tips or help will be great thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need to figure out how the floor is constructed. What size joists, their orientation, their spacing, and the span of the joists between the load bearing components that support the joists.

You'll also have to decide on how much "bounce" you're willing to live with whenever someone walks past the tank. It takes some support to make the floor strong enough to not sag over time. It takes more support to make it rock solid.

My advice with a really big tank like this is always to call a professional...I think a 300 gallon tank is too large to wing it. For ~$500 you can get an engineer to figure all this out and make a fact-based recommendation on what to do, if anything. 

You really need to figure out how the floor is constructed. What size joists, their orientation, their spacing, and the span of the joists between the load bearing components that support the joists.

You'll also have to decide on how much "bounce" you're willing to live with whenever someone walks past the tank. It takes some support to make the floor strong enough to not sag over time. It takes more support to make it rock solid.

My advice with a really big tank like this is always to call a professional...I think a 300 gallon tank is too large to wing it. For ~$500 you can get an engineer to figure all this out and make a fact-based recommendation on what to do, if anything. 

+1  Given how much money you most likely have invested in both your tank ... and your home ... spending $500-$800 to have an engineer provide a properly calculated plan of what should be done is a small price to pay to ensure both the tank and your home continue providing you joy instead of misery in the years ahead.

Not my post but do you guys know if a 55 can be placed on the second floor in a bedroom w/ no load bearing wall safely?

Not my post but do you guys know if a 55 can be placed on the second floor in a bedroom w/ no load bearing wall safely?

Probably. It will weight about 600 lbs, but is spread out over a few feet. It will likely be bouncy, though, when you walk around it.

I agree with Jon.  You'll need to do some real investigation to see if you can do it.  That will be close to 2 tons of weight on that floor.  It's no joke.

I had to reinforce my floors. My office, where the tank is, is over a crawl space. We added 2x12 LVL sistered against the existing joist, which the tank ran parallel to, and also reinforced the beam, which holds up the joists, with 2x12 LVL. I also sistered some 2x8 to the rest of the joists, even though it was overkill. There is no bounce now unless you really try to make it bounce.