Summer 2018 Meeting (FragFest) - July 22, 2018 (Ned and Anna DeLoach)

AlanM

Hold the date for FragFest! Sunday, July 22, 2018 at the Charles Wesley United Methodist Church (McLean, VA)

What is FragFest? Check out the FragFest FAQ here.

Speaker: Ned and Anna DeLoach, Reef divers and writers extraordinaire

Topic: The Mysterious Beginnings of Reef Fish

gallery_2633353_1746_4168.jpg

Reef fishes start life as tiny, buoyant eggs spawned into open water by the thousands. The castaways are carried by the currents out to sea where they embark on one of the most perilous odysseys in the animal kingdom. Ned DeLoach, author of Reef Fish Behavior, takes you on a visual voyage of the offspring’s miraculous oceanic metamorphosis from vulnerable yolk sac larvae into fast-swimming eating machines, unlike any fish you’ve ever seen, bedecked with spikes, spines, billowing fins and streaming floats. Weeks later the few survivors make a second dramatic transformation before riding night tides back to the reef where they spend the remainder of their lives.

gallery_2633353_1746_39114.jpeg

After college Ned DeLoach moved from his childhood home in West Texas to
Florida so that he could do what he loves best—dive. In 1971 he completed his first
diving guide to the state, Diving Guide to Underwater Florida, currently in its 11 th
edition. Though the 1970’s and 80s he was active in Florida’s cave diving
community and writing dive/travel piece for underwater magazines. In the mid-80s
he began working with is longtime business partner Paul Humann as co-editors of
Ocean Realm magazine.

In 1989 the pair published their first field guide, Reef Fish Identification,
Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas, which launched an extensive library of visual marine
life field guides for tropical oceans around the world.

Acquiring the thousands of photographs of new and undocumented marine
species for the guides in a never-ending quest that keeps Ned underwater for much
of the year scouring reefs, walls, sand flats, rubble fields, sea grass meadows, surge
zones, algae beds, and often poking around dock pilings and occasionally beneath
island out houses. Currently Ned and his wife Anna, who reside in Jacksonville,
Florida, are compiling a new edition of Reef Fish Behavior, first publish in 2000, and
writing a column entitled Encounters for Alert Diver magazine.

This is a MEMBERS ONLY summer meeting SUNDAY, July 22, 2018, 2:00 - 6:00 p.m. (We're starting a little later because setup takes longer for this meeting.)

* You can join WAMAS at the door for $20.00 individual; $35.00 family = 1 year of membership, access to member area of forum + free frags at this meeting.

2:00 PM Doors open to WAMAS members (only)
2:40 PM Club business
3:00 PM Speaker Ned and Anna DeLoach
4:00 PM Break
4:15 PM Raffle!
4:45 PM Frag Giveaway (Yes, FREE frags!)
5:45-6:15 PM Cleanup

Location will be:
Charles Wesley United Methodist Church's all purpose room
6817 Dean, Dr
McLean, VA 22101

Raffle Prizes*
- 1-year subscription to Coral Magazine (1 chance to win) - From Reef to Rainforest Media
- $100 Gift Certificate (2 chances to win!) - From Avast Marine
- Mega MaxCap 90-GPD 5-stage RO/DI, $349 value (1 chance to win) - From SpectraPure
- Reef Octopus Classic 152-S Protein Skimmer, $299 value (1 chance to win) - From CoralVue
- Geisemann Professional Test Kits, 9 kits total (1 chance to win) - From SaltwaterAquarium.com
- Complete Water Change Kit (1 chance to win) - From Marine Depot

$200 gift certificate for custom PVC sump at Pure Reef Systems.

- Frag system with frag racks built by Pimped Out Aquariums

Two boxes of Reef Crystals (2 chances to win) - From Exotic Reef Creations

- 12-pack (one year's worth) of Chemipure nano (2 chances to win!) - From Boyd Enterprises

Reef Nutrition: Samplers of their bottled reef food products! (2 chances to win!)
Reef NutritionChroma Boost pellets (three 3-ounce bags raffled together)

- LRS Reef Frenzy food: 2x nano Frenzy; 2x Reef Frenzy; 1x Fish Frenzy; 2x Herbivore Frenzy (7 chances to win) - From LRS Reef Frenzy

- 1x 5 oz. Pro Breeder and 1x 5 oz Ultra Worm Medley flake food. - From Cobalt Aquatics

- Mixed frag pack with 20 corals from FishnReef.com

- Also donated frags from our sponsors and members selling

Door Prizes:

This meeting there will be multiple door prizes to win.  Super deluxe fragging kits with everything you need to get started.

Special thanks to theses sponsors. Please support them & say thanks next time you shop with them. You can find their website address by visiting their forum or the sponsor page on the WAMAS website.

WAMAS Platinum Sponsors
- Air, Water & Ice
- Avast Marine
- Blue Ribbon Koi
- Capital Aquarium
- ChemiPure (Boyd Enterprises)
- Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture
- Exotic Reef Creations
- FishnReef.com

- LRS Reef Frenzy
- Marine Depot
- MASNA
- Pimped Out Aquariums
- Premium Aquatics
- Pure Reef Systems
- Reed Mariculture (Reef Nutrition)
- Reef eScape

- Reef2Rainforest Media (Coral Magazine)
- SaltwaterAquarium.com

- Supreme Reefs

WAMAS Banner-Only Sponsors
- Cobalt Aquatics
- Coralvue
- Jellyfish Art
- Live Aquaria
- Spectrapure
- Two Little Fishies

Get Free Raffle Tickets!
We have a "bring your receipts" program where if you bought stuff from one of our sponsors since the last meeting you can bring your receipts to the check-in desk to get one free raffle ticket for every $25 that you spent at a sponsor.

We don't need to keep the receipts, but would like to see them in hardcopy form (not on your phone because it takes too long) to give you the free tickets.

Sponsors on-site:
Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture

Blue Ribbon Koi

Members selling on site:
Mr Chalice
Piper27
copps
gws3
Leishman
molcott

Watch this space for more information to be made available as it arrives!

Abstract:

The Mysterious Beginnings

of Reef Fish

Reef fishes start life as tiny, buoyant eggs spawned into open water by the thousands. The castaways are carried by the currents out to sea where they embark on one of the most perilous odysseys in the animal kingdom. Ned DeLoach, author of Reef Fish Behavior, takes you on a visual voyage of the offspring’s miraculous oceanic metamorphosis from vulnerable yolk sac larvae into fast-swimming eating machines, unlike any fish you’ve ever seen, bedecked with spikes, spines, billowing fins and streaming floats. Weeks later the few survivors make a second dramatic transformation before riding night tides back to the reef where they spend the remainder of their lives.    

I'm really looking forward to Ned and Anna's visit and to hearing about their adventurous life experiences that most of us can only dream about.....

I agree.  The abstract sounds like a great talk.  I'm not that familiar with them and wasn't part of the club the last time they spoke.

Bump as a reminder of the free raffle ticket program with receipts from sponsors.  

Save your receipts if you bought from our sponsors since the last meeting.  Every $25 spent gets you 1 free raffle ticket. 

• 1 month later...

Bump for this.

It's looking like a great FragFest! This is our biggest meeting of the year.  It brings in lots of new people, and we're going to be giving away free frags.  Also we will have a lot of members there selling frags.  

The door prize will be nice kits of fragging tools, plugs, glue, etc.  Everything you need to up your frag game.

It's a whole frag theme!

We frag donated corals onsite and pack them for the giveaway so you're welcome to watch the operation and learn from that too.

The speaker, Ned DeLoach, is probably one of the most well loved experts in our hobby and has taken some of the most well loved pictures from reefs all over the world.  I'm really looking forward to meeting him (I never have) and hearing his talk. Kudos to John Coppolino for snagging him to talk to us.

I'll be updating the thread this weekend with the raffle prize that we have received so far.  There should be some really nice items.  We're hearing about custom made frag tanks and new skimmers.

I'll also be putting out a call for coral colonies that WAMAS members might have outgrown that could be fragged (rainbow birdsnest and montipora capricornis owners, I'm looking at you) and given out.  

Lastly, if anyone has a tank they want to throw in the trash that they know is made of tempered glass, I'd like to do a demonstration of what happens if you try to drill it and get it on video.  I've heard it's way more impressive of a noise and mess in person than watching online. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

For Raffle from SaltwaterAquarium.com.  

Giesemann professional test kits.  A full set of pretty much everything:

Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium
Nitrite
Nitrate
Iron
Phosphate
Potassium
pH

d26f0dc6839729b827996cbc41585fa1.jpg

From Marinedepot.com, water change kit containing

Cobalt MJ1200
Refractometer
Digital thermometer
100W Eheim heater
Vinyl hose

d5225fac0a4cb591db2bdfe82db4d3ba.jpg

Bump for the meeting next Sunday.  I'm getting together our list of raffle items and will send out an email reminder tomorrow with what we know so far.

We'll have 6 members selling frags as well as club sponsors: Pacific East Aquaculture, FishnReef, and Blue Ribbon Koi all onsite selling livestock and dry goods.

Platinum Sponsor, Reed Mariculture has donated sampler packs of their feed products to our raffle. Come on out! Two chances to win!

Pack #1 ($84 value):
gallery_2631296_685_135827.png

Pack #2 ($73 value):
gallery_2631296_685_107901.png

From Larry at LRS Reef Frenzy. Thanks, Larry! We appreciate your sponsorship!

- 4 ounce pack LRS Reef Frenzy Nano (two chances to win!) from LRS Reef Frenzy
- 8 ounce pack of LRS Reef Frenzy Original (two chances to win!) from LRS Reef Frenzy
- 8 ounce pack of LRS Fish Frenzy from LRS Reef Frenzy
- 8 ounce pack of Herbivore Frenzy (two chances to win!) from LRS Reef Frenzy

LRS_banner1.jpg

gallery_2631296_685_67066.jpg

Donated by Cobalt Aquatics for the raffle.

5 ounce jar of Ultra Worm Medley premium fish flakes (with black, blood and earthworms!), value $17 (1 chance to win)

5 ounce jar of Pro Breeder premium fish flakes, value $13 (1 chance to win)

Thanks, Cobalt!

gallery_2631296_685_6967.jpg

gallery_2631296_685_29976.jpg

Last meeting bump.

We will also have tubes of Handibond thick gel super glue, widely considered the nicest glue for mounting frags, for $5 each at the door and will be selling WAMAS polo shirts for $10 each.  

Beautifully handcrafted frag tank from Pimped Out Aquariums.

cab531cc13b26c44dc12390a8efaa6cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BRK donated an x3 ECO reactor kit to today's raffle. Thanks, John!

f5afb40a4eaa8512ef52ce30e4419a59.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone who came early to help set up and/or frag, who donated corals, who stayed late to clean up after. 

I thought it was a great meeting, and I wish Ned had been able to spend another hour showing us crazy pictures of baby fish.