Broken HOB Filters

sen5241b

In the last 4 months I've bought 4 HOB filters new and every single one has broke in a month. I never had this problem before. I've disassembled them all and put them back to together. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else had this problem?

I don't use HOB filters. But, are we talking about things like AquaClear filters, canister filters, or what? Were they new at first, or used? When you say they're breaking, what exactly is happening? Does the impeller stop spinning? If so, is it because your calcium/alkalinity are so high that calcium carbonate is precipitating on the pump components and causing them to slow down and stop? If you have a regular heater in your system, take a look at it to see if you've got calcium carbonate forming on the heater. If so, then this may be a problem related to abiotic precipitation. 

(edited)

Yes like AquaClear. Tried 3 brands --all broke in one month. The impeller won't turn. When I disassembled them I did not see any precipitation. They always break after they were off. Some power issue but then why is all my other equipment ok?

Edited by sen5241b

I've had great luck with Aquaclear 50 HOB filters. I think I've got eight of them, all running on various hospital tanks.

Yes like AquaClear. Tried 3 brands --all broke in one month. The impeller won't turn. When I disassembled them I did not see any precipitation. They always break after they were off. Some power issue but then why is all my other equipment ok?

You won't necessarily see the precipitate. In fact, you probably won't see any. It'll be causing drag between the shaft and the magnet body where it's warmer (because of friction). Soak the impeller assembly in vinegar and try to work the impeller until it turns freely on the shaft. Vinegar dissolves calcium carbonate.

Check your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels using a good quality test kit. Then report back with your levels and the test kits used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You won't necessarily see the precipitate. In fact, you probably won't see any. It'll be causing drag between the shaft and the magnet body where it's warmer (because of friction). Soak the impeller assembly in vinegar and try to work the impeller until it turns freely on the shaft. Vinegar dissolves calcium carbonate.

Check your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels using a good quality test kit. Then report back with your levels and the test kits used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks. Will try that.