cleaning filter socks

A.ocellaris

Hi,

Filter socks are new to me and I am not sure how to properly clean them. Any suggestions? I am cleaning with fresh water, but hate the smell and brown color after they dry.

Thanks

I use the kitchen sink sprayer with full hot water at max pressure. Flip em inside out a couple of times. Takes about 5 minutes. Kind of a mess but I works pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't there be a risk of contamination with laundry chemicals if the socks are cleaned in a clthes washer?

I clean mine with a garden hose (6 feet) connected to my laundry sink. I turn them inside out, spray them out and soak them in a few ounces of bleach for a few days. Then i soak them in clean water for a few days before letting them dry out.  I have several, so i swap them out 1x/week. 

Wouldn't there be a risk of contamination with laundry chemicals if the socks are cleaned in a clthes washer?

Very little risk when you wash them alone - especially in one of the older style washers that use a lot of water. If you have a washer that has an optional second rinse cycle, you could do that for added protection if concerned.

But, like others have mentioned, I used to rinse mine in really hot water and then give them a long soak in water with plain bleach. Then I'd rinse them well and let them dry a few days before using them again.

(edited)

get unscented non-splashless bleach if you go that route, rinse well and they make sure they are completely dry before putting them back in your tank.

Peroxide also works really well, i’ve been using the washing machine for years. It helps if you buy a ton of extra socks and run the wash when all or most are dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ExoticAquaticsVA

I prefer the mesh socks. I just turn them inside out and rinse while rubbing the material together. Cleans right up.

I do that.  Mesh mostly just traps the big stuff and keeps the sump cleaner for me.  I don't worry about how brown they turn except once a year or so I bleach the all. 

It's good to have a bunch of them so you can have one on while the rest are getting cleaned.

Felt socks are a pain to clean.

Thanks!

I have the IM Sock that comes with a plastic that I think will not survive in a washer machine (see pic below). Is it safe to use Clorox with them? I have 4 of them. I just feel like they can become nitrate generators...

81e7bWqOovL._SY550_.jpg

It looks like felt.

mine is 200uM and I use Clorox on mine.

it will be fine

Just make sure to let it dry out and stop smelling like bleach before you put it back in.

The trick is to wash them before they dry out. I soak 5 at a time in a bucket of bleach and water, then wash with more bleach, extra rinse. Let them dry fully before returning Into your system. I've been doing this for 7 years, no issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have been washing mine in the washer with unscented bleach for years with no "known" negative effects. I will say I always wash mine after i run a load of white socks which get bleach too so the washer has been run without soap at least one full cycle.