What is your preferred salt?

TonyInVa

I use regular IO. When I was new I used Reef Crystals. I had thought it left a residue in the mixing container so I quit it. Now thinking about going back to RC. Because of the extra stuffs in it

Edited by gmerek2

Reef Crystals but I really wish it didn't have that clay decaker they put in it, not the worst thing in the world to clean out my 35G brute trash can like once every 6 months to a year but I don't think I could ever setup a sealed container water change system with it because I don't know how I could get that stuff off the inside walls if I couldn't go at it with a scrub brush.

Reef Crystals because it has more trace elements than IO

Most of us buy synthetic seawater for the big-three: Calcium, carbonate alkalinity and Magnesium. Other numbers of are interest, but much less so (typically) as long as it's not harmful stuff.

Here are a few numbers from several sources. The first it the RC salt database. The second is a paper published 22 years ago in a professional journal. And the third is from an article in Advanced Aquarist 14 years ago.

Here's how the numbers stacked up between IO and RC at 35 ppt at ReefCentral:

Instant Ocean: 

>>> Calcium: 400 ppm

>>> Alkalinity: 11 dKH

>>> Magnesium: 1350 ppm

Reef Crystals:

>>> Calcium: 490 ppm

>>> Alkalinity: 13 dKH

>>> Magnesium: 1440 ppm

These numbers can change slightly between batches, but are more likely to change if your salinity measurement is off. But the numbers show how RC has higher concentrations of the "big three" than IO fresh out of the box. 

Something to keep in mind: Except for mixing to a lower salinity, the hobbyist would be hard pressed to lower ionic content in any ASW. But it's easy (and inexpensive) for us to boost concentration of any of the three. So, if you found that 13 dKH was a bit high for your comfort, then you might want to choose something other than RC. (However, if your water changes were frequent and small, the 13 dKH replacement water could be just fine and would go to simply reduce your supplement demand.) But, if in going to something like IO, you wanted more calcium, simply add calcium chloride to your reservoir when you make up a new batch of water. If it's extra magnesium you want, you can add magnesium sulfate or magnesium chloride (or a combination). 

The next two sources talk to the "trace elements" question. These sources say that there's a back-and-forth when it comes to which salt has more or less trace elements. Bottom line: Unless RC marketing material is calling calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity a "trace element," it's probably not being entirely truthful when it says that it has more "trace elements" than other marine salt mixes. Several studies show that there's really no leader in this area.

For example, take a look at this technical journal paper from 22 years ago, "Elemental composition of commercial seasalts" published in the Journal of Aquariculture and Aquatic Sciences. It's a cool read and I recommend it. Table 1 is where the comparison is focused.

(The figures used are in mmol/kg which is different than the ppt and dKH that we're used to, but don't let that discourage you. They could be converted, but that's not necessary if you're just comparing results. However, if you really want to get to ppm, just multiply the mmol/kg figure by the molecular weight (seen in the last column as MW). Total alkalinity is given in meq/kg. Just multiply that figure by 2.8 to get dKH.)

When it comes to trace elements, this test reported that: 1) IO had over twice the Strontium than RC. 2) IO had 1/6 the phosphates than RC. 3) IO had 1/5 the nitrates than RC. 4) IO had 40% more ammonia than RC. And the list goes on. 

Finally, both Ron Shimek and Dr. Tim Hovenac (aka "Dr. Tim") did some research looking at salt mixes and trace elements some years ago. Shimek was looking at artificial saltwater mixes and their effect on invertebrate reproduction, and attributing declining reproduction success with metals found in IO. The paper became marketing material for Crystal Sea BioAssay mix back then. Anyway, if you remember that, you may find this September 2004 issue of Advance Aquarist of interest. In it, you'll see that, except for Chromium and Nickel (both metals), there is little difference between IO and RC.

Instant Ocean for me; anything else is just a waste of money I could be spending on another aspect of the tank. I use RC if it's on sale and IO isnt available. 

Edited by madweazl

I use Reef Crystals. 

Whenever Copps does his talks, or at least one of his talks I was at, he said if he could continuously flush water from the ocean into his aquarium and back out and constantly cycle it, he'd do that. But he can't, so he uses RC. If it's good enough for his tank, it should be good enough for mine!

I started this current tank with a bucket of Reef Forest Salt. I enjoy it because it mixed up super fast, but I won't pay a premium for that.

Funny thing about IO and RC is that the 200g mix box weighs the same yet they both claim to mix to the same salinity.

What got left out of RC that is in IO?

Over the years, the weight of the box has gone down too.

Used to be a 200gal box weighed 66#, now it only weighs 60#.

We use IO exclusively and dose where needed.

Funny thing about IO and RC is that the 200g mix box weighs the same yet they both claim to mix to the same salinity.

What got left out of RC that is in IO?

Over the years, the weight of the box has gone down too.

Used to be a 200gal box weighed 66#, now it only weighs 60#.

We use IO exclusively and dose where needed.

"Salt" is not simply the table salt that you're used to (sodium chloride), but includes things you're used to hearing about in this hobby (like magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, strontium chloride, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, etc.). Salts also include a lot of stuff that you're not used to hearing about on a day to day basis - cobalt nitrate, potassium permanganate, etc. Salts form by acid-base reactions and have ionic bonds. Most are very soluble in water. The answer to your question is that it's not necessary to question what got left out - it's just a matter or rebalancing the formula. For example, swapping out some of the sodium chloride for additional calcium chloride, or maybe some sodium bicarbonate to boost calcium or alkalinity respectively.

This is a good time to show people the labels on the 200-gallon boxes of IO and RC. I've circled the interesting part. 

gallery_2631296_685_14835.jpg

gallery_2631296_685_52337.jpg

This labeling has always made me wonder if a box of RC is sized to deliver 200 gallons at 1.021 sg (or 27.898 ppt) salinity, while the same box of IO is formulated to deliver 200 gallons at 1.022 sg (or 29.222 ppt). If so, then a box of RC would weigh 56# while a box of IO would weigh 60#.  Using the figures from the side of the box, it will take 1.80# of IO to produe 5 gallons of saltwater at 35 ppt. And, likewise, 1.76# of RC to do the same.  Together, this means that a 60# box of IO is good for 166.7 gallons of saltwater at 35 ppt. Similarly, a 56# box of RC would be good for 159 gallons of the same. 

Note that I've inferred the weight of the salt in these boxes from the instructions on the panel. So, if they're giving you more than 56# of RC in a box, it may be good for more gallons. However, regardless, your 200 gallon boxes are likley sized to deliver that volume only at a salinity lower than your 35 pt target.