Meeting

xabo

I was unable to attend the last meeting. I believe the guest speaker was going to speak on peroxide dosing in the aquarium. Anyone care to summarize what was said?

Thanks

Edited by xabo

That was just one of many topics that Justin touched on. 

I picked up a little but not the specific dosing. You can find a lot about that online.The things I can remember include: a) It's better to use the 3% drugstore concentration as the super high concentrated stuff (30-35%) was both dangerous and might contain contaminants. b) he showed a list of species in order of their sensitivity to peroxide dipping - some of which he implied shouldn't be dipped - and said that he'd be posting that list on his website (Sorry, I don't remember what website that was - maybe reefs.com? Not sure.) c) he mentioned something about how peroxide could break up larger organic molecules and make them more susceptible to skimming and to removal by activated carbon. d) he also said something about it reducing some metals into less-harmful valence states.

Did others pick up anything more or more detail?

Also, he said something about some species in his tank being his "indicators" when dosing peroxide. For example, he said that when his zoas started to close up and show signs of irritation,that he'd added enough. And that there were other species that, if they started reacting indicated that he'd added too much, and needed to do a water change to avoid harming them.

Think I may have goofed up.........................dosed peroxide to treat Dino's but dosed with the lights on. Next morning majority of SPS have lost their color.

Wasnt at the last meeting and have never dosed peroxide in my life :( Just a little advice with SPS. Look at them the wrong way and they die it happens to the best of us. Buy a bunch, bio diversity. See which ones work for you then which ones don’t. After that just stick with what works. Any time

I change something losses happen. Probably never seen or heard of this advice before from anyone but me

But I feel “number chasing is the best” most people claim

Their system is oh so special and their system is so neat that they don’t need to do much but I have found the opposite, the more work I put in the more “better” results I get. Keeping SPS is like steering a large ship. Plan ahead and things will be great. Be reactive to symptoms and it’s too late

Edited by gmerek2