I bought a fish at PETCO

treesprite

Just to chime in I also bought a captive bred Orchid Dottyback from the Petco near me up in Ellicott City. They are doing well, today marks their 2nd week in QT. It's eating very well and has already started associating me with food, as long as I don't move up to the tank quickly they come out and stare at me waiting for their dinner. Since there have been no signs of sickness I'm thinking I'll move them into my DT on Monday I think when I'll be around for most of the day to monitor the transition.

Captive bred fish are good for the hobby in just about every way, I want to support that however I can.

FWIW, I've had better luck with fish bought from Petco vs wamas members. I think the difference is I can observe the fish at the store before buying vs getting one that had already been bagged by the previous owner.

I always felt like I was safer getting fish from members than a shop, because I know the fish's history.

• 3 weeks later...

I would always rather get a fish kept long term by a fellow reefer over one direct from the LFS or online vendor.

Re: The Cheshire Station Petco I vouched for earlier, the lady who kept everything tidy is no longer there. It def shows. Caveat Emptor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I've had better luck with fish bought from Petco vs wamas members. I think the difference is I can observe the fish at the store before buying vs getting one that had already been bagged by the previous owner. 

I sat and watched a male Lyretail Anthias for over an hour at an LFS in Rockville.  It looked good, swam good, ate good - and sprouted ich within 24 hrs of being at home.  He lived a good while but suffered for quite a while at first.  He fought ich on and off for 2 months until I added a UV Sterilizer.  Point being you can watch something for a ton of time and all can look good but you will never know.  One last point - it was the first fish added to the tank.

I sat and watched a male Lyretail Anthias for over an hour at an LFS in Rockville. It looked good, swam good, ate good - and sprouted ich within 24 hrs of being at home. He lived a good while but suffered for quite a while at first. He fought ich on and off for 2 months until I added a UV Sterilizer. Point being you can watch something for a ton of time and all can look good but you will never know. One last point - it was the first fish added to the tank.

Did you not QT it? The poor thing was probably past its limit for being stressed out when it got to your place. Kudos to you for getting it past the infection.