screen top made from stiffened tulle?

treesprite

I want to make a screen for my tank, but don't want to deal with the framing. I am thinking of using fabric stiffener to shape tulle netting so it will be like a lid, without having to attach the netting to a frame.

Might be messy to do it, considering that the tulle has to be soaked in the liquid, then shaped. I need to figure out what to use as a form. I might put wood or glass on top of the tank so I can just form over the tank itself. I will do a smaller test version first.

I already bought the stuff, a few minutes ago. The tulle was on sale, and I had a coupon so the stiffener liquid was not as expensive.

Is the stiffener water soluble?  If so, it won't work. Humidity will for sure have it sitting in the tank water over time.

Screen frame is easy.

The stiffener is supposed to be permanent, not wash out even with detergent and laquer thinner.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to make a screen for my tank, but don't want to deal with the framing. I am thinking of using fabric stiffener to shape tulle netting so it will be like a lid, without having to attach the netting to a frame.

Might be messy to do it, considering that the tulle has to be soaked in the liquid, then shaped. I need to figure out what to use as a form. I might put wood or glass on top of the tank so I can just form over the tank itself. I will do a smaller test version first.

I already bought the stuff, a few minutes ago. The tulle was on sale, and I had a coupon so the stiffener liquid was not as expensive.

Did you try this yet, Forrest? There's no test quite like a prototyping run. The concern that I'd have is that there's not enough rigidity in the stiffened fabric to overcome gravity over a relatively long span. Maybe in shorter spans sagging is minimal, but at some point, the span gets long enough that the resulting sag causes the fabric to fold enough to collapse into the water.

The fabric has to be more tighly woven. I wasn't considering the fact that the tulle is more hole than fabric. There is a tulle that has smaller holes, but it would inhibit light too much.