Oodinium treatment-does uv sterilizers really affect copper levels?

Still_human

The copper meds(cupramine)specifically say to be sure to turn off UV sterilizers, but that just doesn't seem right to me. How coulda a UV sterilizer have any affect whatsoever on copper? A sterilizer would make treatment like a million times better, but it says to turn it off. I dont want to do anything to hinder treatment at ALL, but the amount of additional help the UV would do working TOGETHER, is too much to not look into.

Seachem's website says that (the energy of the) UV will break the ionic bond in Cupramine, probably putting the stripped metal ion Cu2+ into solution. (Cupramine is... no surprise here... copper bound to an amine group.) This stripped ion is more toxic than the Cupramine in solution. That's why they advise turning off the UV.

Ok good, I'm glad To know there's actually a legitimate reason behind that instruction. It sucks, but at least it's a real reason to turn it off. Thanks for the help:)

Would our reef lights have any effect or UV in them?

I would imagine not, but don't forget copper is EXTREMELY not cool for reef tanks/any inverts, so unless your reef lighting is on a FOWLR tank, it shouldn't even matter