recommendations for tank scraper

YHSublime

Hey WAMAS. I have a nano Algae Free (I don't believe they make these anymore) but the inside piece didn't come with it. I have a plastic scraper on the inside, and it's good for algae film as it's just starting to build, but I'm getting some tough spots that are requiring a razor these days.

Any recommendations for a great glass cleaner for a nano size tank? 

I'm thinking about this Magflip

I have this for my 5g: https://www.marinedepot.com/Vertex_Technologies_Algae_Magnet_Cleaner_Floating_Algae_Magnets-Vertex_Technologies-VX10940-FIMTAMCMFM-vi.html 

I really like the way it looks, it's small, very strong for its size, and cleans well.  However, it does not float and has some trouble with strong encrusting stuff like coraline so would probably not help with your application.  

My hesitation with the magflip  is that the scraper is plastic, which IME does next to nothing.  Tagging along to see what you find.  I'd be interested in a nano-sized scraper blade too.

I have The Flipper, and it works well.  I've never quite gotten down the trick of flipping it, and it doesn't really float, but the magnet strength isn't extreme like some AlgaeFree ones and the blade does a good job and is easy to replace.  Also it's lower profile than an AlgaeFree inside the tank so you can scrape where corals come up close to the glass.

I have a bunch of algae magnets. If I were in the market for another one these days, I might look a little closer at the Tunze Care scrapers. Because the body of the magnet floats about a tenth inch away from the glass panel, there's little risk of trapping debris (whether it's sand or coralline particles) under the magnet and all the force is pretty much concentrated on the blades, delivering more scraping power where it counts. Again, I don't have this scraper, this is a nice innovation that's worth considering. 

When it comes to magnetic scrapers, the only one I've used is the Magfloat but I have little reason to change. Blades are easy to swap and generally hold up well, though my latest has a bend in it already (not sure what I ran it into). Love that it floats and it transitions the corners easily. Dont know that I have any dislikes but I've not tried the "Cadillacs" of the magnetic scrapers either. 

I have The Flipper, and it works well. I've never quite gotten down the trick of flipping it, and it doesn't really float, but the magnet strength isn't extreme like some AlgaeFree ones and the blade does a good job and is easy to replace. Also it's lower profile than an AlgaeFree inside the tank so you can scrape where corals come up close to the glass.

+1

I’ve used a magfloat for the past 3-4 years. Recently I got some calcium deposits on the glass, and the magfloat was not up to the job. So I decided to upgrade to the one with a blade. I got the regular size Flipper, and it does a fantastic job of scrapping off the deposits. Maybe I’m just a weakling, but the magnet is strong enough that sometimes I have to use both hands to move it around. They also come in nano size too

I have this for my 5g: https://www.marinedepot.com/Vertex_Technologies_Algae_Magnet_Cleaner_Floating_Algae_Magnets-Vertex_Technologies-VX10940-FIMTAMCMFM-vi.html 

I really like the way it looks, it's small, very strong for its size, and cleans well.  However, it does not float and has some trouble with strong encrusting stuff like coraline so would probably not help with your application.  

My hesitation with the magflip  is that the scraper is plastic, which IME does next to nothing.  Tagging along to see what you find.  I'd be interested in a nano-sized scraper blade too.

I just read that it was plastic. I like the look of yours, but I'm finding that a razor blade works best, perhaps my hybrid of the two scrapers is what's inhibiting. 

I have The Flipper, and it works well.  I've never quite gotten down the trick of flipping it, and it doesn't really float, but the magnet strength isn't extreme like some AlgaeFree ones and the blade does a good job and is easy to replace.  Also it's lower profile than an AlgaeFree inside the tank so you can scrape where corals come up close to the glass.

I like the low profile, my tank is already to the gills, so that's handy. 

I have a bunch of algae magnets. If I were in the market for another one these days, I might look a little closer at the Tunze Care scrapers. Because the body of the magnet floats about a tenth inch away from the glass panel, there's little risk of trapping debris (whether it's sand or coralline particles) under the magnet and all the force is pretty much concentrated on the blades, delivering more scraping power where it counts. Again, I don't have this scraper, this is a nice innovation that's worth considering. 

I like that it can be replaced with a blade, but I don't like that they say it has to be a tunze blade...

When it comes to magnetic scrapers, the only one I've used is the Magfloat but I have little reason to change. Blades are easy to swap and generally hold up well, though my latest has a bend in it already (not sure what I ran it into). Love that it floats and it transitions the corners easily. Dont know that I have any dislikes but I've not tried the "Cadillacs" of the magnetic scrapers either. 

I have a nano magfloat, I've not been impressed with it. On my larger tanks I've always used the algae free, and really been happy. 

+1

I’ve used a magfloat for the past 3-4 years. Recently I got some calcium deposits on the glass, and the magfloat was not up to the job. So I decided to upgrade to the one with a blade. I got the regular size Flipper, and it does a fantastic job of scrapping off the deposits. Maybe I’m just a weakling, but the magnet is strong enough that sometimes I have to use both hands to move it around. They also come in nano size too

Do you think a regular sized flipper would be to much for a 22 gallon? 

I have a 40B, and the regular Flipper magnetic strength is almost too much for it. Coraline algae would stand no chance.............It's a bit easier to move if I use the pad size.

I think the nano size only comes with one blade. Not sure if it's plastic or stainless steel.........

Flipper works well on my 180 gallon glass thickness, but it could use a little bit more pressure.  If I need to get the hard stuff off the glass I have to break out the floating AlgaeFree one (I don't remember which I have) which has a much stronger magnet.

I do like the fact that it has little nubbins that keep it off the glass when the blade is scraping so it has less chance of scratching.  

I just pulled the trigger on a Flipper Nano Magnet Cleaner. It seems to have the best reviews from those that have it, and looks like it'll fit my needs. I'll keep everyone updated, but this looks like it's the best option!

I think you made the right choice. I have the flipper large for the 300DD and the regular flipper for the 425XL. Being able to switch between blade and scrubber keeps my hands out of the tank more often. Much better than the mag floats and algaefree magnets I have had previously.

I think you made the right choice. I have the flipper large for the 300DD and the regular flipper for the 425XL. Being able to switch between blade and scrubber keeps my hands out of the tank more often. Much better than the mag floats and algaefree magnets I have had previously.

Fingers crossed! If it gets the job done and doesn't scratch up my glass, then I think we're in good shape! 

This topic spurred me to look again at the magfloats.  It looks like they have a new scraper design that I might like better than the old one.

No blade available for Magfloat Nano? 

The magfloat has a high profile, and I've not seen the nano with a blade. I do have a small magfloat in my fish closet that I tried last night, and it's still not cutting it. 

This topic spurred me to look again at the magfloats.  It looks like they have a new scraper design that I might like better than the old one.

In comparison to the price of the magfloat as well, the flip was comparative. They do get pricey the bigger you go, but so do all the other ones when you buy new. 

It's funny, I just looked at what mine was, and it's the Tunze, but without the blade, the plastic does OK, until you miss a day, and then it is out of it's algae arena. What I have looks to be an older model of whatever you linked, one side of the plastic "blade" is smaller than the other.

Without the blade, it is relatively useless on a well established reef that is churning out the coralline but with the blade, it has been great (rarely takes multiple passes). But again, I haven't used a Flipper or some of the other equivalents so I don't know what I'm missing. 

I don't have coraline on glass, only calcium deposit.

When did a WC a few days ago, I drained 50% of the water. Then I tried to scrub it out with a clean pot-and-pan scrubber dipped in mild vinegar. I was successful only if I scrubbed it really hard . Using the Flipper with blade attached, I can see sheets of the white deposits coming off with one pass. But it sure gave my forearm a workout from just moving it around. 

It's certainly worth the $40 I spent......just like the Tunze ATO.