Cozumel Diving Trip

mari.harutunian

I will be going to Cozumel for my spring break on a school scuba diving field trip. I hope to get a lot of great photos and videos with a GoPro hero 4 & waterproof case. I will be getting certified there with the diving company that teaches at UMBC and diving most days of the week. Hopefully I’ll also do my advanced certification too which requires a night dive.

I would also like to visit some of the Mayan ruins on the island and have a fishing charter booked for Thursday full day.

If anyone has some general travel tips, GoPro tips, or knows how to legally fish from the surf lmk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the go pro underwater lenses. PolarPro has some good lenses. This will filter out blue and give you a more natural color.

Darn i leave very soon so i wont habe the time but if i did i would’ve gotten some of them. I have loose gel filter lenses of different colors that are cheap so I’ll probably just cut them to size and put them in the clear case and cross my fingers. Thanks though!

I was just there last October (for my fifth dive trip there, I think)!  Lots of color and fish, so you should have a blast.  I don't know where you're staying, but try to get out to some of the restaurants in town - there's some great food at really reasonable prices.  Standard just drink bottled water warning.  I'm sure your instructors have already talked about it, but you'll be doing drift diving so pay attention to their instructions.  Jealous!!

Get a pole for your GoPro. It helps get your camera into places and get video. I use one that is entendable and floats.

Unfortunately i only have a short handle that doesn’t extend but floats and then an extendable that doesn’t float. Couldn’t find one that did both in time...

Unfortunately i only have a short handle that doesn’t extend but floats and then an extendable that doesn’t float. Couldn’t find one that did both in time...

Where do you live? When do you leave?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If your courses are through PADI and you're looking at also doing your Advanced Open Water cert while you're there, one of your possible dives is the Underwater Videographer - that would be a great intro to using your GoPro underwater.

Where do you live? When do you leave?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I’ve already left now. Did my test dive. Would’ve been fun If my bc vest didn’t have a massive hole in it so i had to hold on to the instructor so i didnt sink. I dont think the short stick will be too awful. Maybe i can barrow from some of the other divers in my class.

If your courses are through PADI and you're looking at also doing your Advanced Open Water cert while you're there, one of your possible dives is the Underwater Videographer - that would be a great intro to using your GoPro underwater.

That is an offered course and i may get my advanced certification. For now I’d like to just get comfortable & enjoy everything with some video on the side. If i got it down maybe I’ll take that one.

Finished my fourth dive today! Will probably do a night dive for a an advanced certification tonight off the dock. I went to reef sites Delilah twice, yuca, and one other i dont remeber the name. Very beautiful. Video is not the same at all.

I have seen so much and videotaped so little. Garden eels, lionfish, grouper, morays, pearly jawfish, arrow crabs, huge crabs, hermits, conch, anemone shrimp, coral bandeds! My GoPro keeps freezing and I’m unsure if it has been taking continuous video. Did a wreck dive today & a dive right by the drop off. Got stung by fire coral and jellyfish not too bad. Will night dive tonight & get advanced certification. Will share pics and videos when i get home!

I have a new appreciation for so many reef aquarium fish, gorgonians, shrimp, and sponges... damsels especially. I’d love to have a huge deep tank with all damselfish and inverts.

• 2 weeks later...