Immediate ammonia burn info/help

Still_human

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of ammonia burn? I've thankfully never had any experience with it, and although it just doesn't seem at all likely, cause there was no way it was over-ammonia'd on my end, and although it says it usually doesn't show up until 2-3days after the exposure, I really do trust where I got it from, but i haven't found any other issue that fits the symptoms like it. seems its treatable, but I'm just freaked out cause it seems pretty serious, and I've almost never had anything come back from this state, albeit it's always been because of other issues. A fish laying down all day, only moving when touched, when it starts shaking and jerking in place at first. Then it CAN keep itself up and swim a bit but it obviously wants to just go back down and lay on the ground again. It would lay on its side, or however it, but it's been positioned upright but leaning. It was breathing pretty heavy all morning but has been breathing much closer to normal, although when it breathes its open fast/close fast, instead of gently open/close. Except earlier when I was gently lifting it up now&then to check on it, it's been totally motionless other than mouth, gills, and slight tail due to gentle current. can....DO things really recover from this level of problem? Writing that includes these symptoms(as the more serious ones)seem to consider it treatable, but that really doesn't mean much. I haven't medicated yet because I don't want to stress it with a move to a smaller tank(yet). I've done big water changes, added air directly behind it, and it's between 2nfilter intakes(not touching, just close, so it'll have more but still gentle flow, and of the additionally oxygenated air(however slightly). I'd hoped to see some improvement, but nothing yet other than the breathing.

post-2636402-0-13399900-1520974224_thumb.png

Edited by Still_human

Your fish symptoms could be a number of things. I would check your ammonia before you decide ammonia in your problem.

Severe lethargy and rapid breathing with no other symptoms lead me to suspect the fish has gill damage, can't get enough oxygen, and is suffocating. 

Perhaps the gill damage is from ammonia, but I'm skeptical. Even a little bit of ammonia will hurt a fish, but it takes more than a little bit to kill a fish. Test your water.

Unless there are other symptoms, my money is on a gill parasite (velvet/brook/ich). I've seen many fish die from velvet with absolutely no spots anywhere. One day they're fine; the next day they're swimming into the powerhead stream for more oxygen; the next day they're dead.

Your fish symptoms could be a number of things. I would check your ammonia before you decide ammonia in your problem.

Severe lethargy and rapid breathing with no other symptoms lead me to suspect the fish has gill damage, can't get enough oxygen, and is suffocating. 

Perhaps the gill damage is from ammonia, but I'm skeptical. Even a little bit of ammonia will hurt a fish, but it takes more than a little bit to kill a fish. Test your water.

Unless there are other symptoms, my money is on a gill parasite (velvet/brook/ich). I've seen many fish die from velvet with absolutely no spots anywhere. One day they're fine; the next day they're swimming into the powerhead stream for more oxygen; the next day they're dead.

Well, like I said, the ONLY thing that seems at ALL to be improving at all is his breathing. And actually, I totally forgot to mention it, but it's what the picture I included is of, red "burns" patches on his body.

I'm not a fish doctor, but I agree with this.