Power outage solutions: generator versus solar + battery

roni

....How long would it last running two tanks, a fridge, lights, and HVAC?

...The thing I don't know is how long I could run a generator on, say, 50 gallons of propane....

I've begun investigating the whole house system after the latest 36hr power outage. I wish I could get the deal xabo got!  I would schedule that today! The local price of a 16kw generator is twice what he paid and I assume installation will be a lot more too. Last week I found a great chart with the fuel consumption rates but now I can't find it. But here is another one with Generac fuel consumption rates based on 1/2 and full load. Basically about 2.5gph to 3gph respectively when using LP with a 16kw gen. (Middle of the 3rd page):

https://cityelectricsupply.com/images/catalogs/2017/04-Apr/generac-home-generators-guardian-9kw-22kw_sell-sheet-2017.pdf 

Not sure what size I need yet, I just used the 16kw as an example. 

Scott or anyone that currently have solar,

Do you have any updated information on when the Tesla power wall will be available for general sales?

Clearly with this, you will be able to live off grid. What is Pepco's position on potentially loosing lots of customers?

Do you have any updated information on when the Tesla power wall will be available for general sales?

Clearly with this, you will be able to live off grid. What is Pepco's position on potentially loosing lots of customers?

From what I understand, they were installing new builds with the batteries and pre existing systems were going to be after that.   I know on the website you can put your contact information in and put a deposit down and they will contact you with an estimate. 

You can buy these LG ones right now: https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/22/lg-chem-officially-launches-residential-battery-systems-line-north-america/

from, for instance, https://www.freecleansolar.com/9-8kWh-LG-Chem-Home-Battery-RESU10H-p/resu10h.htm

and Maryland will give you a tax credit for the battery up to 30% of the cost of the battery including installation costs, but they stop doing it when they've given out $225k total in 2018:

http://energy.maryland.gov/business/Pages/EnergyStorage.aspx

I assume you can also take the federal tax credit of 30% on top of the state one, so you might be able to get 60% back off the battery total.

I got a Generac.  I debated getting one when I bought my house and delayed- until after the deracho.  I kicked myself the whole week I sat there moving the extension cord of my Honda 1KW baby generator between the freezer and tank (see why only 1KW below).  Were it not for the tank, I would have found a hotel or friends place.

Anyways, unless you are Xabo, an air cooled generator is about $8k-$11k installed ($2,500 for 11kw/$4,500 for 22KW + $1K for automatic xfer and then the rest for install).  In for a penny, in for a pound- if you are going to drop the money then just get the 22KW so you can do AC and other stuff too.  I don't know if I could do the install myself.  Gotta drill a big hole through the house and I have 2 electrical panels so moving circuits around was a pain and kinda scary. Keep in mind this is air cooled so that is louder and doesn't work well in hot summer.  People had problems with their air cooled generator during the deracho when temps were 90+. 

I ended up getting a 27KW liquid cooled unit.  Quite a big step up in price but I wanted quieter and more reliability.  The generator is quite a bit bigger and required a concrete pad.  It has a Mitsubishi 2.7L 4 cylinder car engine- the kind  that would come in a Mitsubishi Galant or something.  But in the end I get both AC units, tank, refrigerators, microwave, garage door openers (how we get into house), TV, Internet and a few other things covered regardless of outside temps.  

Fuel and electrical panel location is something to consider.  Like Tom's propane tank problem, if the fuel isn't where your electrical comes, that's an issue.  My natural gas is on the other side of the house from my electrical.  Needed to dig a 50' trench to run the gas line.

For me, the generator is great.  Weekly testing makes sure things work when needed.  Auto start means if we aren't home, the tank doesn't have a problem.  Just as important, I travel so a traditional generator would mean my wife has to deal with lugging it around and connecting the power to the house.  My previous generator was only 1KW because that was the size/weight she could deal with.  We tested her carrying around a 2KW and she didn't want to deal with it.

Spend the time and money to do what is right.  What's the point in buying this stuff if it isn't available or usable when you need it?

I was hoping Dave would weigh in cause he has a good system.

Doesn't it seem obvious that you should be able to use an electric car as the house battery to go off grid if power was out? If you plug your car in to charge it seems like it would make sense to have a circuit on it that would let the power flow in both directions. A house battery you can drive.