Identify Coral

Viktoriia

I received the attached coral from a fellow WAMAS member a few years ago. I am not sure what it is. It looks like its growing like a spongode.

It fuzzy with polyps when they are out. The skin looks wet and shiny when they the polyps disappear. Sorry about the picture i had to resize to a small quadrant to get it to post. only 6.8KB allowed to upload?

I received the attached coral from a fellow WAMAS member a few years ago. I am not sure what it is. It looks like its growing like a spongode.

It fuzzy with polyps when they are out. The skin looks wet and shiny when they the polyps disappear. Sorry about the picture i had to resize to a small quadrant to get it to post. only 6.8KB allowed to upload?

I could be mistaken but it looks like my blue ridge coral that I also picked up from another WAMAS member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be mistaken but it looks like my blue ridge coral that I also picked up from another WAMAS member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s definitely a heliopora (aka blue ridge).

Image attachment size isn't limited to 6K, Viktoriia. I think it's more like 100K. My guess, though, is that you have probably attached too many pictures to your posts and run out of your allotted storage space. The way around that is to link to pictures that are hosted either offsite  or in a WAMAS gallery. 

Click on your screen name in the upper right of the page and select "My Settings." Now, on the left hand side of the page, select "Manage Attachments." You'll see all the files that you've directly attached to posts. My guess is that you've basically used up the storage space allocated to your screen name.

Just checked it out. Yes heliopora. Pretty interesting article I read how this was once the dominant coral in the worlds oceans. Cooling waters from the last ice age almost put this coral to extinction. Maybe Helipora is a key to keeping corals alive in a warmer ocean?