Maxspect Gyre or MP40?

1bitereefer

I’m upgrading to a 4ft tank and want to get a new power head. I’m torn between the Gyre and MP40. Tank will be a mixed reef. I heard great things from both. I like the look of the Gyre but heard noise complaints. This tank going into the living room noise is a big factor but i awesome want it look good and function well. I’m looking and only getting one to start and possibly another later.

Total depends on your rock work. The gyre will strip the flesh off any coral directly in the path of its flow. It pushes water in a long thin line, it works very well but your tank needs to be setup to allow for a gyre to develop for it to really work properly, which means no rocks/corals in the path that it will be pushing. MP40 has a more traditional flow pattern that you can't put anything directly in front of but when I had a gyre I had Acro 2 feet away from it that would not grow above the line of water it pushed because it was so strong. My rock work was just not suited to the Gyre and rather than redesign the entire tank I just got an MP40.

The Gyre moved an impressive amount of water though.

This.. I have had both and did not care for the flow pattern of the gyre.. running two is better as it offsets some of the one way flow...

Either one would be best with something opposing it. Two or 3 powerheads on a lower setting from different angles really is ideal IME... one mp40 will push the whole 4 foot side to side.. but the depth from front to back might not get adequate coverage...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My tank has mp40s but then I bought a gyre and never look back. Something about the gyre flow is just better. Right now I'm using gyre and mp40 but I feel like if I only have 1 then I would go with gyre no doubt.

Thanks fro all your Info. I plan to get another eventually. Right now I'm just trying to get everything dialed in. I don't have a ton of corals in my current setup. but it will look like much less in the system haha

I have two gyres and four MP40's. The top of my tank is open water so the gyres, which operate alternately on 4- or 6-hour cycles, turn the water over one way and then the other. The MP40's are situated one at each end and two along the back. They operate to break up the gyre's flow to give a bit more randomness to the pattern. The MP40's are controlled by a wireless link to my Apex and quiet down some at night.

As you can probably guess, I'd be somebody who told you that both have their place. If I had to have just one, though, I'd probably go with the MP40 because it allows more flexibility. That is, you're placing your pump(s) to accomodate your aquascape, not the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...

I decide to use gyre 250 and mp40 in my 5 ft tank as well.. return pump rate 750gph from different area on the top of tank which i use random nozzle to create random flow then move gyre up 1/4 tank to make wave move 3s every 2s. The rest will be mp40 with different mode whole day...plus one more maxijet 1200 i use for keep the siphon from my overflow box go 45• up and create micro bubble for the tank...everything look good for me now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk