Heavy winds coming tonight

AlanM

I've accidently forgot to turn the power strip (heater, pumps, ato) back on after working on the 20L in our basement and didn't realize it till almost 24 hours later. The temp dropped to 68F in the tank before I found it. Everything survived, including a starry blenny. Not sure how common this is though.

My tanks are currently at 73F and 75F. I using one of our cars as a generator essentially (it has an inverter and outlet) to run heaters and pumps on each tank for 30 mins every two hours or so.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope you guys get it back soon.  It's so stressful watching the numbers and waiting for it to come back.

Sorry man. Thats rough. We are down to 58 here. It actually feels better outside than inside at the moment.

Tanks seem to be doing well all things considered. I do have a frag of mille that probably isn't going to make it. Started TN'ing over night and its picking up then tissue loss exponentially it seems.

Yikes.  I had my power cut in and out all night Thursday night, then off for 13 hours yesterday (got it back at 8pm last night, finally).  Bubblers in all the tanks worked, although the fish and coral I still have are pretty hardy.  I live in a little corner of Arlington next to Alexandria, and my two blocks get our power from Alexandria (above ground lines).  We were the only two blocks to lose power yesterday.  Our board has been working to get us disconnected and moved to the Arlington power grid like the rest of my neighborhood - hopefully this latest outage will get them moving on it again.

32 hours. Bubbler still going, but I’m worried about temperature. I’m going to see if I can find some way to get a plug adapter to run the heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power just came back on here in West Springfield. Good luck everyone that is still dealing with the outage issues.

It's stressful watching you all in this situation.

For those that are focusing on providing oxygenation and flow, how about running out to get a car battery and DC-to-AC inverter and using it to power a small pump directed toward the surface? You can pick up a small 200W inverter at Harbor Freight (Sterling, MoCo, and Springfield) for under $20. You can run a small air pump, too. You'll need a car battery. Add a trickle charger to the setup and you can keep the battery charged and ready for the next time this happens.

Note: Temperature is a concern, but secondary to oxygen and flow. Heaters suck up a lot of power. So, unless you have a real problem brewing, use the energy to focus on the first two or invest in a generator. 

b04e18c37b5f884835b81b71b55e6a25.jpg

b04e18c37b5f884835b81b71b55e6a25.jpg

Still out in Arlington? How's the livestock doing?

Yeah, still no power in Springfield. A friend had a generator they weren't using so I'm doing okay right now. For those worried about temp, I wrapped my tank in blankets last night and it only dropped to 72 despite the house being around 50.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You can also get styrofoam and rigid insulation sheets at Home Depot / Lowes.

Glad to hear that you found a generator, Roni.

Power just came back on. 28 hours of no power. Longest we ever lost power, including during the derecho. If anyone wants to borrow any battery powered bubblers, let me know.

Still out in Arlington? How's the livestock doing?

Still out for me, 33 hours and counting!

Isaac, do you have any way to get some heat into that tank?  Any way to hook up a small heater and run an extension out to your car with an inverter on it or something?

Isaac, do you have any way to get some heat into that tank? Any way to hook up a small heater and run an extension out to your car with an inverter on it or something?

its sitting at 67f. I’m borrowing a propane heater from Martin tonight, and I’ve been putting hot water from the gas stove into baggies, fingers crossed power comes in soon!

Sad to hear that lots of folks still don't have power. I went through a prolong outage years back for 3-4 days straight in the heat of summer. After that experience, I bought me a generator and at this location we have partially wired to a large generator to generate most the the essential appliances in the house including my fish tank.  

While we did not loss power here, we'd loss a large patch of singles on the roof (hope it doesn't rain anytime soon). 

Good luck guys...hope the power back on soon for those without.

We have friends from Alexandria at our house now who were going stir crazy at home with no power.  Apparently they just had a crew dispatched notice.  

Just got power back! Only fish loss as of now is a really nice big blue tang. Def bummed. The lid was off for the bubblers before I got the generator and at some point it jumped out.... We’ll see how the corals look in a couple days.

Power has been out for more than 24 hours. Tank was below 70° yesterday. First old Generator did not work so we went to all the shops and found a cheap $100 700 watt at Walmart just when i had given up and was sure my small tank was done for. Works well so far. Running the heater and one powerhead. Tank is at a steady 75°. How long can i go like this on a 36 gallon tank full of corals w/ 3 fish? BGE says power will be restored Sunday night earliest and mid week latest.

45 hours out, power is now back! Tank looks OK, but will assess in the morning. Tomorrow is 50% water change. Dropped to 64F at lowest, but who knows how calibrated my thermometer was.