very expensive error with QT

menglish

So I just made a very costly and perhaps stupid error.

I HAD a very expensive wrasse was was showing a few ich spots. Took him out of the DT and placed him in my QT (20g tank). I did a water change in the tank (replace my QT water with water from the DT) and started copper (cupramine) according to the instructions yesterday. Woke up today and my wrasse is dead!!!!!!!!!! SUCKS :(

Where did i went wrong?

Are wrasses sensitive to cu?

How you do your QT wrasses?

Many thanks

Milton

For wrasses I always do the tank transfer method. Wrasses tends to be very sensitive to copper. Sorry for the loss. It always sucks losing a fish.

Sorry to hear about your wrasse.  TTM is probably your best bet.  If you need to use copper on a sensitive species, you could try ramping up the copper concentration slowly over several days.  That gives the wrasse more time to adjust, and also gives you more time to spot an adverse reaction and remove the fish from the copper.

Wrasses also have a reputation for not tolerating chloroquine phosphate, so that's not a good treatment route either.  

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your fish.

No experience with wrasses, but I have used cupramine on angelfish which are sensitive to copper. If you followed the instructions then you would have only performed the first dose. IME the first dose results in a low copper concentration according to seachems copper test kit.

It's possible that whatever parasite the fish was experiencing might have already attacked the gills. A freshwater dip might have helped. From reading a while back online, wrasses have a thicker slime coat so are a little more resistant to some parasites such as ICH.

Can you describe the symptoms? Also, did you test the copper level?

Also, was this from introducing a new fish, coral or just anything wet from another tank?

The next question is what other fish do you have in the DT and do you plan on treating them or letting whatever parasite it is live in the DT? Be aware that velvet can kill fast. I know first-hand. If ICH, then you could "manage" it by keeping stress low and feeding quality food. The problem is that identification is tough.

Thanks for the info.  I was looking for something like this.

So I had the wrasse for about 3 weeks. It was doing well, eating behaving well with others.

A few days ago, i noticed a few small white spots on the fins, nothing severe, so I took him out and place it in QT were it was for 2 days before i started the treatment. It was swimming in the QT tank.

No issues with the other fish in the tank, more wrasses and tangs.

Thanks for the info.  I was looking for something like this.

So I had the wrasse for about 3 weeks. It was doing well, eating behaving well with others.

A few days ago, i noticed a few small white spots on the fins, nothing severe, so I took him out and place it in QT were it was for 2 days before i started the treatment. It was swimming in the QT tank.

No issues with the other fish in the tank, more wrasses and tangs.

Question begs: If you had the wrasse for 3 weeks, but you have a QT tank, why was it in your display?