Tank Transfer

Fishy_business

I'm going to move the contents of my 50 gallon and 12 gallon into an 80 gallon. Using as much as the same water as possible, same live rock.

My question is should I go with all new sand or should I use all old sand plus new sand? ( I feel this option would stir up too much nitrate)

It depends on how dirty your old sand is. Sometimes its good to use the old sand for the beneficial bacteria but if it’s too dirty it can pollute the tank. Maybe use half of it and 1/2 new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have upgraded and moved a few tanks in the past. Always reused all my sand without any issues. I rinsed the sand using fish net in the old tank water and then right into the new tank.

Everytime I’ve done this I have always used new sand with a cup or two of the old on top. Either way, good luck and enjoy the new 80 gallon!

As mentioned, depends how old/dirty your sand is. I've never gotten the knack for cleaning sand, and I actually just took most of the sand out of my current display. 

In the past, I've always just done new sand, with a cup of my old sand for some beneficial bacteria. The rock is going to be the most important piece I think, but your plan for using the old water to rinse the old sand is a good idea. 

Somebody else is planning an upgrade here as well, there's some good discussion and information on this thread.