OH NO!!!! No fish from Hawaii available anymore? Other than yellow tangs and bandit angels, what are any/all other fish that are from Hawaiian waters? I tried to do searches but nothing helpful came up.

(Also, if anyone has a bandit angel they want to sell, let me know lol)

Ok, so sadly my list is growing of strictly Hawaiian fish:(

Yellow tangs

Bandit angelfish

Potters angelfish

Fishers angelfish

Fantail filefish

Saddle wrasse

Flame wrasse

Hawaiian cleaner wrasse

Hawaiian feather dusters(?)

*chevron tangs(not only Hawaii, but apparently very rare the rest of its small range)

Edited by Still_human

OH NO!!!! No fish from Hawaii available anymore? Other than yellow tangs and bandit angels, what are any/all other fish that are from Hawaiian waters? I tried to do searches but nothing helpful came up.

(Also, if anyone has a bandit angel they want to sell, let me know lol)

There's quite a discussion in another thread here from months ago....

Very true, and I definitely think about it every time on here, and on one hand, what's $20 when in the market for a few fish that could EASILY b like over a grand, but then AGAIN, every $ counts, and $20 is no pocket change! Lol what a conundrum!!! Aquarist problems, am i right???

Very true, and I definitely think about it every time on here, and on one hand, what's $20 when in the market for a few fish that could EASILY b like over a grand, but then AGAIN, every $ counts, and $20 is no pocket change! Lol what a conundrum!!! Aquarist problems, am i right???

There are some great member deals on livestock and equipment on here sometimes as well as great conversation. Hard to tell what’s member discussion and what’s not since I’ve been a member for a while though. Worth the $20!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The amount of money I've saved well surpasses the $20. Especially when you've got quite an expensive list of fish. 

It's not just access to the buy/sell/trade forums, it's dues to a community to keep this website running, and club events happening. 

Most people don't think twice about spending at least that on coffee, or one meal. Spotify? Netflix? Hulu? You get the point. 

Oh, and instead of persuading you to make one of the better choices you could make in 2018, if you were a member you would already be reading that discussion on the Hawaiian fish ban. 

Lol true. Well, you make a strong case, that's for sure.

Btw, I was just talking to friends at the LFS, and they were both, separately, saying that this happens like every year. That they've gotten the same warnings many times before and after a couple times of going nuts on Hawaiian stock, they've learned to just ignore it. They think it's probably a seasonal thing when fish are reproducing, or some other important stage.

Lol true. Well, you make a strong case, that's for sure.

Btw, I was just talking to friends at the LFS, and they were both, separately, saying that this happens like every year. That they've gotten the same warnings many times before and after a couple times of going nuts on Hawaiian stock, they've learned to just ignore it. They think it's probably a seasonal thing when fish are reproducing, or some other important stage.

Your friends are wrong. The threat of legislation happened about every year. Even when passed, legislation was often not signed by the Governor. This situation is remarkably different in that the courts have decided that the regulatory agency overseeing collection permitting (the Hawaii DNR) was in violation of Hawaiian law and needed review. In the  near term, collection permits are not being renewed, resulting in an effective ban. This is a highly charged political battle that's being waged in Hawaii and it's been that way for years and years. This is the first time that this sort of outcome has been seen. The jury's still out, though, on the current collection moratorium as to whether it will be ultimately lifted or if it will be in-effect a ban. Regardless, it's still a battleground.

In the long run, though, our hobby will avoid these sensitivities if the market provided better support for captive-bred livestock. This month's issue of Coral Magazine lists several pages of captive-bred marine species. It's encouraging to see so many species where we've seen success. It wasn't that many years ago when the list was much shorter. However, just being on the list doesn't mean that these species are available in the marketplace. It just means that somebody was successful breeding and raising them through the settlement/metamorphosis process. Ultimately, success will come when we vote with our dollars to make captive-breeding economically viable and relieving our dependence on wild-caught livestock.

Aww, way to rain on my parade of hope:( guess I'll hafta try 5x as hard for that bandit, and QUICK:(

Yeah....i may just have to go ahead and join