Bobbit Worm--About to burn down my apartment building

jonify

I’m prepared to chisel your rock open, you have such a great opportunity bc your tank is so small! Anyway to can setup a camera on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m prepared to chisel your rock open, you have such a great opportunity bc your tank is so small! Anyway to can setup a camera on it?

Ha! You're more than welcome to try, I've got more than enough booze to keep you going. I do have a belkin wifi web cam I used on an older tank to check in throughout the day...I can set that up.

Ha! You're more than welcome to try, I've got more than enough booze to keep you going. I do have a belkin wifi web cam I used on an older tank to check in throughout the day...I can set that up.

Can we get a live feed :)

I think you’ll be surprised how long it is. I found one about .25” diameter a few months ago in a sump living in a home of detritus and one rock and he was 28 inches or so fully extended. Was like a slithering slinky and i wasn’t able to get him out in one piece unfortunately he was so fast and didn’t want him to make it to my return pump.

T

I think you’ll be surprised how long it is. I found one about .25” diameter a few months ago in a sump living in a home of detritus and one rock and he was 28 inches or so fully extended. Was like a slithering slinky and i wasn’t able to get him out in one piece unfortunately he was so fast and didn’t want him to make it to my return pump.

Thanks for that. No sleep tonight.

Can we get a live feed :)

Working on it :) I'll post the link and update the main post with it once it's up.

S

Send me your email, I'll send you an invite for live stream. Have infrared setup and the camera aimed at its lair. 

Working on it :) I'll post the link and update the main post with it once it's up.

Send me your email, I'll send you an invite for live stream. Have infrared setup and the camera aimed at its lair. 

attachicon.gif Eunice_valensDLC2009-03s.jpg

I saw it munching on a hammer today ... had seen a smaller version about a year ago in my tank, but I thought it was just a bristle worm. Today I noticed it had the trademark white band just below the head (similar to the pic attached). When it noticed me, it withdrew back into its lair so fast I almost died. Now I'm not going to sleep and will probably burn down my apartment building. Help.

If you want to see a live stream, send me your email and I'll send you an invite for the feed. Have infrared setup and the camera aimed at its lair. 

I'm in DC, but with this thing lurking about, you need to stay on THAT side of the Potomac. I just finished an 18-page thread of the Michigan reefer who battled his own bobbit for a year, before finally getting all of it out. It was FOUR. FEET. LONG. Mine isn't, I don't think. Best guess is about 6 inches long, given its diameter, though I've only seen about 2 inches of it at any given time. I saw this thing a year ago and thought it was a bristle worm. Though given how quickly it ducked into its rock then, I should have known.

If it's in a rock, then why not just take the rock out?

Stop by Petsmart or the grocery and pick up a set of long gloves (or dishwashing gloves) and just pull the rock out. Dip it in some sparkling water and that should get the guy out in a hurry.

Looks like a Eunicid worm. I had one a long time ago. Was impossible to catch. I took out the live rock and left to dry for a few weeks. He actually used to take my frag plugs and move them in front of his rock hole at night. Very bizarre.

Looks like a Eunicid worm. I had one a long time ago. Was impossible to catch. I took out the live rock and left to dry for a few weeks. He actually used to take my frag plugs and move them in front of his rock hole at night. Very bizarre.

Eunicid is just a fancy science name for Bobbit. 

Seems like a lot of people have had experience with them, I thought they were uncommon. 

I posted about a bobbit worm here on wamas with some pics years ago.

It lived in my overflow with a green death star for several months before the death star ate it.

I think I might remember something about that. The death stare was superior to the bobbit? Great!

Consider your tank now a Bobbit biotope. Exploit it, and sell segments.

haha. 

Terror Journal, Day Three: Trap is empty, bait untouched. Again. I set up an infrared camera so I could see it become active at night. What did I see? Two of them. TWO OF THEM. The fire department laughs when I call. City council thinks the worms are "all in my head." Maybe they are. Maybe I got too close to the tank one day while I was doing a water change and one of them jumped into my ear, laid eggs in my brain, and now the worms are animating my fingers and typing all of this out to make me look insane. I wonder when someone will come rescue us from this prison. I wonder if anyone is even getting these messages.

Terror Journal, Day Three: Trap is empty, bait untouched. Again. I set up an infrared camera so I could see it become active at night. What did I see? Two of them. TWO OF THEM. The fire department laughs when I call. City council thinks the worms are "all in my head." Maybe they are. Maybe I got too close to the tank one day while I was doing a water change and one of them jumped into my ear, laid eggs in my brain, and now the worms are animating my fingers and typing all of this out to make me look insane. I wonder when someone will come rescue us from this prison. I wonder if anyone is even getting these messages.

What messages? O.o

LOL

Where can I get a fake one for April Fool's Day?

Edited by treesprite

On a positive note, I think I know which rock one of the worms calls Lair. Will take it out and put it in fresh water tomorrow. Need to observe and confirm tonight.

Update: there is only one Bobbit. It’s about a foot long. It’s pretty active right now, infrared is also picking up several smaller worms...probably bristle worms.

Okay, I'm done. Watched it tonight and I'm terrified of that beast. I'm frustrated that I'll have to take ALL the rocks out of my tank and either 1) break them up or 2) put them in freshwater to get the worm to come out (thereby killing off my biological filter), and not even be certain I got all of the worm or that there aren't any other...or that I won't get another one in my tank the next time I purchase a coral (this guy must have come in on my frogspawn.) I didn't use live rock or live sand when I started, so it could have only come in on a coral.

At this point, I'm going to get out of the reefing hobby for a while and take a break. I'm irritated and sad that I was so careful with it, but this crap still ended up in my tank. I know many of you will find this ridiculous. It is what it is. So, I'll be giving this baby up, will repost under the appropriate section. DM me if you're interested in taking anything. Pay what you want. 

Pic of the head of the demon worm attached (it's in the middle of the pic, you can see the antennae on its head). It moves like lightning and is super skittish, was hard to catch a good pic.

post-2636371-0-39255800-1518672299_thumb.png

Edited by jonify