Band Saw near DC?

Washingtonian

A thought: Torch corals have a branching (phaceloid) skeleton. If fragging in small volume, it's pretty easy to cut it cleanly with a Dremel tool (or other rotary tool) outfitted with a cutting disk. You can also use a big pair of bone cutters, but you have to be careful to direct the force up between the branches to keep from splintering the skeleton back into the flesh (which would set the polyp up for infection). I've used both of these methods, and a coral band saw for high volume fragging, with success.

the floor works really well for torch fragging.... oops, I dropped it on the floor and now I have a dozen pieces...

if you want more precise frags, you can squeeze the stalks together carefully so you dont cut your fingers and they will break at the intersections. you'll want to glue the bottoms somewhat quickly so that water doesn't intrude up the stalk and into the base of the polyp.

Edited by zygote2k

• 9 months later...

I would like to use a band saw to cut live rock.  I need to do a re-scape and I don't have a ton of time to be cutting rock. Anyone near Woodbridge have one?

I've got one... located in Fairfax Station, VA. I need to order a new band for it, so I couldn't help this weekend... but maybe after Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thankfully it's not the blade I need (and blades are like $60 or something crazy anyway.) It's just the wheel bands that melted in Vegas storage during our move (they're still $25ish.)

I just ordered a new set.

I'll cut frags but I won't cut rock. My saw isn't big enough for most rock (it's a Gryphon band saw), plus it wears out the blade and guides crazy fast (it's made for lapidary and glass art work.) You'll need something much larger and more industrial for rock... or someone that doesn't care about their saw (new employee at a fish store??)

Cutting large rock? Chisel and hammer... large industrial bandsaw...

Hobbyist band saws only cut through like 4".

Hacksaw. Easy because our rock is mostly calcium carbonate - really soft. Give it a try. You may be surprised. People have even chiseled reef rock into smaller pieces with a screwdriver - it's that soft.

Flathead and a hammer. Looks more "organic."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk