Zoanthid Grow Contest Competition Thread

dpassar12

Hi all,

Hope everyone still has their polyp. We will use this thread for the remainder of the competition. Here are the rules again just in case. 

RULES FOR THE CONTEST ONCE IT STARTS IN JANUARY PLEASE READ: 

1. Everyone should post a quick write-up of their system(lighting, reactors, size, dosing feeding, etc) posted to this thread before the first photo updates.

2. You will be required to post photo updates each month in this thread also(6 photos). You will have a two-week window-- a week before and after the 20th of each month. I will post reminders and pm anyone getting close to the deadline. Failure to do so will result in disqualification. For the last month, the window for photos will only be the week before.

3. Please, no cheating. Cheaters will be disqualified. This is meant to be fun and fair for everyone.

4. Zoas must remain on original plug unless given permission to put on a larger plug/ceramic plate. This has to be supported with a picture of the original plug being too full and a picture after on the new plug/plate.

5. If you drop out or fail to post on time there will be no refund as all the money went to pay for the zoa.
  6. A polyp counts if it has a head that is open and we can see color. 

I donated the 13th polyp to meeting raffle. That person can join the fun or just keep the polyp... Everyone should post a pic of the polyp in their tanks over the next few days. If you want to describe your system/lights etc, that would be great... 

IMPORTANT!!! Check follow this topic, I will remind everyone for a pic and update at the end of each month by posting it here

Thanks Dan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will toss in an SPS frag pack to the Winner and will hook Dan up for hosting. I will be posting my polyp and tank a little later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my system. 

Tank: 3x 120 gal frag tanks, 1x 60 gal frag tank, 1x 180 display 1x 100 gal rubbermaid fuge, 1x 29 gal DSB, 1x 29 gal fuge and 1x 40 gal LifeReef sump. Equipment: 2 life reef skimmers, calcium reactor, APEX, KH Monitor, 19 LEDs (6x BB, 4x Radion Gen 2, 8x T247B and a marineland QT light) 2 BR dosers. 2 return pump an Iwaki and a Blueline. 5 MP40s and 10-12 other powerheads. I have also recently setup a DOS AWC. It is set right now to swap out 1 gallon 4x a day.   

Livestock: 19 common working fish. urchins, cucumbers, brittle stars etc....  Corals, a lot. 

Feeding: Pellets for fish, a combination of meat and veggies. Anemones  and some LPS get chopped up frozen calamari once a week.

Additives 4 ml of vodka  and a few ml Mag daily. I change carbon 1x a month.

Light schedule for the Zoa tank is 10 hrs blue @ 50% and 4 hr white at @10%. 

Salinity 1024

ALK 10.2

Mag is 1350 

Water 76-77

IMG 1435

(edited)

I will add a few frags to the winner a well... There is also a $50 gift certificate for Supreme Reefs, pick up only.. BTW Ben @ Supreme was the supplier of the frags...

Edited by dpassar12

Setup: (100 gallon total volume system)

• Display Tank: 65 Gallon Marineland Reef Ready
  • Frag Tank: 15 Gallon Advance Acrylic
  • Sump Tank: 40 gallon breeder
  • Display Lighting: ATI 36" 6X39W Dimmable Sunpower Fixture (1 true actinic, 1 super actinic, 1 blue plus, 1 aquablue special, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus)
  • Frag Tank Lighting: ATI 24" 4X24W Dimmable Sunpower Fixture (1 true actinic, 1 blue plus, 1 aquablue special, 1 coral plus)
  • Heater: 400watt 
  • Display Return Pump: Syncra Silent 4.0 
  • Frag ReturnPump: Sycra Silent 3.0
  • Display Flow: (2) Ecotech MP40wQD pumps
  • Frag Flow: (2) Hydor Koralia Nano 565 gph pumps
  • Controller: Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite
  • Live rock: 80lbs
  • Live sand: 60lbs

Filtration and maintenance:

• Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 152-S
  • Refugium is 9 gallons. Lighting is (1) 11 watt LED CPR Strip and (1) 9 watt Innovative Marine Chaetomax
  • 25 gallon water change at least twice per month using Reef Crystals.
  • Carbon in sump changed every 2 weeks
  • 20 gallon top off resevior
  • Grey Seas Aquatics Kalk Stirrer fed by top off pump
  • Dosing Cal and Alk via BRS dosing pumps

Display Tank

24716158607_9b72f9bc41_z.jpg

Frag Tank

24716160427_60ccbd0aa0_z.jpg

Shot from today after being in frag tank a little over 24 hours.

39923685962_cff644dcee_z.jpg

Parameters: 1/28/2018

• Ammonia - 0.0
  • Calcium - 420
  • dKH - 7
  • Nitrate - 0.0
  • Nitrite - 0.0
  • pH - 8.43
  • Phosphate - 0.0
  • Salinity - 1.025
  • Temp - 80.5
Edited by Stephen

Display 65g SPS dominated. In the display 1 Mp 40, 2 MP 10, 1 jager heater.

Trigger Systems 20g sump. First chamber has Eshopps 150 skimmer, finnex heater and a small pump to keep detritus suspended.

Second chamber has temp probe and cheato with a 54w grow light.

Third chamber has Jebao return pump, float switches for ATO, another small pump and this is where my dosing is done.

I use kalk in my ATO with BRS 2 part when needed.

Lights 6 bulb ATI fixture and LED strip. Bulbs are 2 coral plus, 3 blue plus and one aqua blue special. 2 blue plus run from 10am till 9 pm The others run from 2pm till 7pm and the LED strip runs from 3pm till 10pm.

My parameters are

Alk 7.5

CA 430

Mag 1320

N03 .50

P04 .02

My fish are 1 Christmas wrasse, 2 clown fish, 1 Cardinal fish, 1 Midas Blenny and 1 snowflake eel.

This tank is 15 months old.

Day 1 of captivity:

So hear I am shoved in bag, traveled all across northern VA, shoved from container to container through god knows what types of chemicals, acclimated to different waters and what not, and now I am just a bit upset, placed here in a new system, different lights, different elements, sheesh leave me alone already!!

My new captors are a bit on the crazy side. I am trying to figure out who the new ring leader is. I see two younger mates who enjoy showing me their race cars as they race across the front of the aquarium. I see a cute lady who stops by once and awhile to look inside and this one bearded dude who looked as if he was trying to get some sort of info together.. this is what I was able to make out:

Main Tank and Equipment:

75g Deep Blue Reef Ready

29g Deep Blue Sump (wanted the matching black silicone)

Jebao RW-15 with apex conrtroller

36" 4 lamp t5 ATI - all Blue+ lamps

36" Reefbrite XHO Tech Blue w/dimmer hooked to Apex for dusk/dawn

Bubble magus curve 9 skimmer

Avast reactor with bio pellet adapter running bio pellets 

Apex controller

2- BRS dosers using BRS 2 part

Roughly 80 Lbs Reef cleaners reef saver rock

Parameters:

Calcium 410

dKH 9.3

Temp 77

Salinity 1.026

All others unknown. 

I do 15% water changes bi-weekly most of the time but shoot for every week using Instant Ocean. I also have a couple zoas when they do not look too happy I will do a 15% water change and that seems to clear it up. Maybe that is when my nitrates start to creep(shrugs).  I feed the tank LRS Reef Frenzy daily and target feed my acans weekly. 

qyj45rC.jpg

270 gallon miracles rimless tank sps dominant

Ati led powermodule 8x80 with reefbrite xho

Flow- two mp-60's two mp40's one tunze 4150 very high flow tank

Bubbleking sm300 skimmer

Dart return pump

Aqua uv 57 watt sterilizer

Full apex

Calcium reactor with additional brs calcium dosing weekly to maintain level

Automatic water change. Currently changing 10 gallons a day.

Dosing red sea colors

Parameters:

Salinity 1.025

Dkh 8.0

Calcium 420

Magnesium 1350

Nitrates 5

Po4 .08

Ph 8.1

ba27c6c19999d4868c6d0baa0d7c3c2e.jpge4474a97ba819a3022f6b882db095569.jpg1e30ea106e98e89c28c3748c27b29fa8.jpg0c424ab265e630614ef7434b82449239.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mine will be in my 40 breeder under mars aqua 300w sump just has a protein skimmer and fuge with chaeto under a kessil h80 only dosing triton core7. Alk 9.4, Ca 430, and PH is 8.4

A little update for those that are interested. These are the fangbanger from the last grow out comp. 20+ polyps now.1e5a38b70d7b727c5097c8603e7543dd.jpg

Very nice, I have 11 heads on my original plug. I alo fragged a few off 2 month ago. I really like the color on that polyp... Even if you don't win you get a nice higher end polyp to grow out.. 

Very nice, I have 11 heads on my original plug. I alo fragged a few off 2 month ago. I really like the color on that polyp... Even if you don't win you get a nice higher end polyp to grow out..

Even though zoas are more my thing I don’t expect at all to win. Things take a bit to get used to my system and I’ll most likely have one polyp at the end. I entered for the reason Dan mentioned above, to add a nice polyp to the collection. I also joined hoping it would make me pay a little more attention to the tank, with my kids it gets neglected~

Dido my zoas are typically very slow until they get settled in then they explode

12 Gallon Pico Tank

Kessil 160we

Eshopps Nano skimmer

Jabeo wavemaker

Dosing Kalkwasser in ATO

Current levels

Calc 460

Alk 10.9

Mag 1470

Salinity 1.026

39077089145_540612409e_z.jpg

39077092985_856bb2116b_z.jpg

mine will be in my 40 breeder under mars aqua 300w sump just has a protein skimmer and fuge with chaeto under a kessil h80 only dosing triton core7. Alk 9.4, Ca 430, and PH is 8.4

Here is my little guy6e9e31af9c12f3b7271e4eeed5d36c0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Setup: 30 gallons AIO

Equipments:

-No skimmer, no reactor

-Marinepure + fuge

-AI Prime HD

Livestock: 2x clownfish

Maintenance:

- 10g water change every 2 weeks

- Carbon in bag change every month

- Feeding pellets twice a day

13c4bfa082f5e2977ba650056f25c662.jpg

8b5eddf31aa983662737cb7770eb880f.jpg

Setup: 30 gallons AIO

Equipments:

-No skimmer, no reactor

-Marinepure + fuge

-AI Prime HD

Livestock: 2x clownfish

Maintenance:

- 10g water change every 2 weeks

- Carbon in bag change every month

- Feeding pellets twice a day

13c4bfa082f5e2977ba650056f25c662.jpg

8b5eddf31aa983662737cb7770eb880f.jpg

TOTM right there ...lol

So I am not sure which Zoa I got but here are my tank specs:

Tank:

34Gal RSM 130D

Lighting:

Custom built Led lighting

Filtration:

Sponge pre-filter

Chemi-pure Blue

Tunze 9001 Skimmer

Marine Pure Ceramic Biomedia

Deep sand bed and lots of live rock

Supplements:

Triton Core7 (other methods)

Water management:

Tunze ATO

Weekly 12% water change

Due to my choice of fish, tank is probably over fed and runs dirty. Which I think is an advantage for Zoas. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Day 24 of captivity..

My zoa has opened for a total of 7 days, maybe. I will most likely move it to my frag tank which seems to be a recovery tank for some of the zoas that have a hard time acclimating to my main display. If so I will post an update on that system because it is not tied into my display. Also, please excuse the cell phone picture. I do not feel as if the nub on a plug was worthy of a good photo~  

yuOSMdM.jpg

Feb update, I am going to clip the shaft of the plug and glue the disk to a grow out plate. I'll attach an example. My guy is growing very fast and I don't want any polyps to attach to my frag rack. I have 6-7 polyps that I can see.. 

ex of grow out plate.

IMG 1465 2

my polyp

IMG 1463