Red Cotton Candy Algae

Scubaguy

​Hey Everyone, 

​Hope everyone is doing well. Ive been having an issue with this algae and have done a lot of research.  Everything I do .. and it keeps coming back. 

​Anyone out there dealing with this? 

​Hit me up.. 

​Richie

Is it like the stuff in this thread? Link

I have some of it in my tank, it's a hold over from the live rock I got when I first entered the hobby over 10 years and 4 tanks ago. Never gotten rid of it but Turbo Snails do eat it as the thread outlines and when I got my One Spot Fox face a couple of months ago he  basically eradicated any of it that was left in my DT. (Still a bunch in my fuge)

It never got to plague proportions in my tank and it's fairly easy to just pull out but if you want it gone a Fox Face will take care of keeping it under control. Totally getting rid of it will require starting a brand new tank in my opinion, the stuff is impressive in its ability to survive.

Thanks for the responses. 

I have done the research and have been using the Mexican Turbo snails to combat this over the past year. Not sure where I picked it up. 

I'm just getting tired of the cycle between the snails, algae gone, snails die, algae comes back, and I put more snails back in the tank. Its nuts. 

I will try the fox face, I just saw that article on that one. Never tried it. I will probably have to fish my yellow tang out in order to put another fish into the tank. 

Richie

I've seen it discussed in Julian Sprung's Algae Problem Solver Guide. But, as I recall, it's a bear to get rid of.

Have you researched use of hydrogen peroxide to combat algae? You may be able to target dip infested rock to get the upper hand and kill it off.

I've seen it discussed in Julian Sprung's Algae Problem Solver Guide. But, as I recall, it's a bear to get rid of.

Have you researched use of hydrogen peroxide to combat algae? You may be able to target dip infested rock to get the upper hand and kill it off.

Yes, I have done some research, Hydrogen Peroxide is definitely not an option with this algae. ;( I'm going to get a fox face again and see what it will do.... I'm definitely at my wits end with the stuff. 

​Hey Everyone, 

​Hope everyone is doing well. Ive been having an issue with this algae and have done a lot of research.  Everything I do .. and it keeps coming back. 

​Anyone out there dealing with this? 

​Hit me up.. 

​Richie

Having you tried using Vibrant?