Aggressive fish

Nakie31

Hello everyone I have a problem I have 2 purple fire fish that I got together a couple of weeks ago they looked like they were kissing, but now one of the fire fish is very aggressive toward the other one should I remove the aggressor for awhile or should I remove the one being bullied please help if I have to take one back the Lfs I will

Thanks in advance

It really depends. How big is your tank? How aggressive is the fire fish? You need to determine if they are just trying to establish pecking order or one is trying to kill the other one. If few chasings here and there, I would just leave them in the tank. If one is chasing the other one all day, then I would remove the aggressive one for week or so then try it again.

Ok thanks but I removed the one being chased because it looked like the back fins had been attacked so I put him in the quarantine tank until I got some advice I might have to take it back to the Lfs what do you think cause I would rather take it back then to see it chased all over the tank and have to hide

While a few people have had luck keeping firefish together (large tanks or one person that has 6+ of them that all got along for some reason) they are generally very territorial towards other firefish. If you have a large tank 70g+ you may be able to have two if they setup shop at opposite ends of the tank but even that is iffy.

Upside is that other than other firefish they are super unaggressive towards everything else. I would let the injured one heal up a bit and then find it a new home.

• 5 weeks later...

I've found that firefish need holes to dive into. When I kept them i had to get a long 3/4 inch drill bit and start drilling holes in live rock for them to dive into when they're spooked. If you have enough nooks for them you shouldn't have a problem. What kind of live rock do you have?

Also I've found with multiple of the same kind of species, it's not the bullied that you should take out, it's the bullier. The bullied firefish, in this case, will heal fine In your display tank. Take out the aggressor and put him in QT for two or three weeks. In combo with the new holes, the bullied fish will have time to establish territory and hide once the aggressor comes back in the tank.

But yeah, there is nothing wrong with trading the aggressive fish back to the store or trying again with a new one.

Is there a size difference btwn the fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wbkardine

• 3 months later...

Agree with above: would have taken out the aggressor. Don't put the beat up one back in without removing the bully. Unless it is a big tank, it might be best to regime one of them.

• 6 months later...

In small environments two fish that are identical or even look the same are likely to be territorial. They don’t have an ocean surrounding them. It’s like putting them in a cage fight. Clowns are usually the exception of the rule and some worse then others. On reefs you see lots of single fish and big schools (dividing aggression), seldom two fish. This probably makes more sense if you’re married!