plumbing my dual overflow 180

fellterrier

I’m sleeping on it tonight. I’m either going to remove one overflow or do the dual Durso configuration. Leaning towards the dual durso. What do you guys think. The room is huge, two stories up so I think the noise factor won’t be a huge factor, thoughts?

I’m sleeping on it tonight. I’m either going to remove one overflow or do the dual Durso configuration. Leaning towards the dual durso. What do you guys think. The room is huge, two stories up so I think the noise factor won’t be a huge factor, thoughts?

It may be fine. It's worked for a lot of other people in the past. Hopefully the other member will chime in with his thoughts since he's got direct experience. If he doesn't post again, try PM'ing your question again. It would be nice to get it right the first time. WIth the time and expense of putting it together, it just feels better to get it working acceptably the first time. I ran a double-Durso for several years in the basement rec-room and never felt it to be too noisy. Not silent, but acceptable.

The main reason I tune it every few days is because of the trickle down the e-drain. The tank sits outside my home office, so I want it to be dead silent. I actually hired Rob (zygote2k) to do my plumbing. He wanted to do a dual durso, but since my 75g reef is herbie and I know how quiet a herbie is, I didn't want to chance it with a dual durso and then having to replumb it to herbie if the durso was too loud for my liking.

The plumbing does take up a good chunk of real estate, but I still think it is worth it for the silence. Here are some photos of my setup (sorry, I don't have any photos of just the plumbing - before I added all the other gear).

Below Right Overflow:

24995163097_ebe01ebeda_c.jpg

Below Left Overflow:

39156033054_48538e6fdd_c.jpg

The right overflow and both e-drains are plumbed to drain into this filter sock:

39156032814_778060e7fb_c.jpg

Here is how I have the returns come back over the top - I utilized the cutouts in the overflow:

39866429561_52c00fab58_c.jpg

Here's what the back of the tank looks like:

25992878218_a14b393185_c.jpg

I purposely had the plumbing a few inches off of the glass for ease of back glass cleaning with the flipper.
Edited by cpu933k

glad to hear everything is working well.

Hello

Do you still plumb aquariums? I tried to PM you but couldn't. Let me know. I'm contemplating using your services or getting further advice. If you are still doing so of course. PM me.

Thanks

So here's my sketch. (2) 1" inch return lines working separate and independent. (1) one 3/4" supply line Tee'd from return pump with check valve. 5 or 6 quick connects strategically place. Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks for the help.

post-2633429-0-12192600-1516813362_thumb.jpg

Very basic layout. It'll work, but you've not built in any valves or a manifold that you might use for future reactors or other devices you might consider. Also, I'd increase the size of the 3/4" line to at least 1" or more until you get to the bottom of the tank, where I'd use a 1" to 3/4" adapter bushing. Using larger pipe will reduce pressure losses and increase pump efficiency. When I had this sort of setup, I used to put a length of flexible tubing between the return pump and the hard plumbing. The tubing helped dampen any pump vibration from being transmitted through the hard pipe. Also, make sure that, whatever you do, you're able to easily remove the return pump for servicing or replacement without having to hack up your plumbing. 

Very basic layout. It'll work, but you've not built in any valves or a manifold that you might use for future reactors or other devices you might consider. Also, I'd increase the size of the 3/4" line to at least 1" or more until you get to the bottom of the tank, where I'd use a 1" to 3/4" adapter bushing. Using larger pipe will reduce pressure losses and increase pump efficiency. When I had this sort of setup, I used to put a length of flexible tubing between the return pump and the hard plumbing. The tubing helped dampen any pump vibration from being transmitted through the hard pipe. Also, make sure that, whatever you do, you're able to easily remove the return pump for servicing or replacement without having to hack up your plumbing. 

Noted. The reason why I went so basic is because through the years of doing this, I realized I like fish more than coral. I found that by sticking with lps corals, mushrooms and clams and by using reef crystal salt, I can have a pretty nice tank with minimal dosing. I use a 2 stage GFO which will be outside the sump. Other than that, I found that my fish were health and the lps were fine. Thanks for all the awesome advice. I will start plumbing this weekend. excited!