Jellyfish like creature ID

razzpatazzz

It's hard to say as the glimpses are so fleeting and from a distance. So I snagged a few frames from the first appearance and put them into this image:

gallery_2631296_685_2849.jpg

From the looks of things, it's some sort of free swimming hydroid. Not unlike the solitary hydroid shown on this page (but it's from 800m below the surface). 

Go about halfway down this page for a diagram that looks similar. Also, check our the video on that page (just below the diagram) and look at the interval from about 38s to 65s  for views of the hydroid colony and a close-up of a free swimming one.  I'll try to link to the video below.... I'll also embed the diagram ....

gallery_2631296_685_27427.jpg

It's hard to say as the glimpses are so fleeting and from a distance. So I snagged a few frames from the first appearance and put them into this image:

gallery_2631296_685_2849.jpg

From the looks of things, it's some sort of free swimming hydroid. Not unlike the solitary hydroid shown on this page (but it's from 800m below the surface). 

Go about halfway down this page for a diagram that looks similar. Also, check our the video on that page (just below the diagram) and look at the interval from about 38s to 65s  for views of the hydroid colony and a close-up of a free swimming one.  I'll try to link to the video below.... I'll also embed the diagram ....

gallery_2631296_685_27427.jpg

Very cool. Have them check this out and see if any match: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/jellyidfaqs.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for the links, I can't seem to find one that looks exactly alike, but we will try to compare and look again in a bit. I wasn't sure if it was a hydroid because most of them seemed to have really long tentacles and the ones we see don't seem to. If we find any colonies we will also update.

Thank you both for the links, I can't seem to find one that looks exactly alike, but we will try to compare and look again in a bit. I wasn't sure if it was a hydroid because most of them seemed to have really long tentacles and the ones we see don't seem to. If we find any colonies we will also update.

You're being too narrow in your identity search. A hydroid describes a member of a class of animals called Hydrozoans. A class is just below a phylum (in this case, Cnidaria - animals with stinging cells) which is a subdivision of the Animal kingdom. There are probably thousands of species in the hydroid class. What you have in your video is almost certainly a hydroid. The exact family, genus and species is going to be difficult for most of us to determine.