ScooterTDI

ScooterTDI's 12g Long Peninsula

Well, the tank has been up for about a year, so I figure it is time for an update. I've been through many battles in this first year (mostly dinoflagellates and hair algae). With each challenge, I've made changes to my setup and I think I've finally arrived at a functional system and maintenance routine. The most important/effective change to the hardware has been the DIY algae scrubber I made. (Please excuse the salt residue on the glass, I wiped it down before photos and didn't notice that I didn't get it all!)

IMG_20190127_195937.jpg

IMG_20190127_210818.jpg

IMG_20190127_210849.jpg

IMG_20190127_210807.jpg

IMG_20181220_214723.jpg

Edited by ScooterTDI

Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not culturing grindal worms anymore. The culture never really thrived and developed mites. I gave up after it appeared that the mandarin was plump and growing solely off of prepared foods.  She ended up jumping through a tiniest of holes in the lid. Really heartbreaking. Mandarins have always been favorites of mine and I put a ton of effort into training her to frozen foods. After she jumped, I couldn't bring myself to going through all the trouble to train another.

I believe that was sold to me as "ORA purple tort". Though, I'm not sure ORA had a release by that name. Reminds me of a Cali tort (which ORA did sell at one point).  Bruce (bbyatv) often sells pretty big frags of it for a great price.

Thanks, the back of the peninsula still has a long way to go before it all fills in and starts looking more natural though. Most of the acros are just now beginning to really start growing. 

I'm usually not very interested in macro shots of corals, but I was playing with my phone yesterday trying to get some good shots:

IMG_20190129_173259.jpg

IMG_20190129_173443.jpg

IMG_20190129_173634.jpg