ScooterTDI's 12g Long Peninsula

I'm taking a page out of your book man, everything is looking awesome. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
(edited)

A bit of sad news. Since the beginning of this year, the tank has been gradually declining. I slowly lost one sps colony after another. I've decided to just switch to an softy tank for a while since it should be easier to maintain and I've never kept one before.

In the process of shutting down the frag tank, I may have found the part of my problems. Urchins chewed through the insulation on the pump wires thereby exposing the tank to copper and stray voltage. It probably wasn't the sole issue, but it certainly wasn't helping.

PXL_20210706_203410111.jpg

PXL_20210706_191539395.jpg

Edited by ScooterTDI

That sucks, sorry.  I have frags of stuff I got from you ready whenever you get stabilized and ready again.

Dang man. I was enjoying the success while it lasted. Sorry to hear it. 

Thanks guys. Despite losing a bunch of coral, I see it as a positive. I had gotten a little bored with the tank and this is opportunity to re-engage with the hobby. I'm already having fun looking for soft corals that I've never kept before. I'll probably also consider some generally non-reef-safe fish that I wouldn't have previously paid any mind. 

Here is the current state of affairs after removing all the dead or struggling sps.

PXL_20210708_221227371.jpg

• 7 months later...
(edited)

Well, the tank is 4 years old now, so I thought I'd give a update.  I added sand a little while ago to the display and although I rarely purchase wild-caught fish, I bought a diamond goby to keep it clean. I really liked the aesthetic change. I also set up the former frag tank in the fish closet, but now it is just a  second display for me to enjoy. I've recently added a pair of Biota mandarins, a Biota coral beauty, and a pair of ORA pink skunk clowns.

My plan is to continue with softies for a while since I don't miss the frequent testing and and frequent preparation of calcium and alk dosing solutions that I had to do when it was hard coral dominated.  I'm interested in tracking down some of the fancier soft coral varieties, but I'll probably still have a limited population of easy sps like encrusting/plating montis or pocillopora. As always, please excuse the dirty glass...

PXL_20220301_223839576 (1).jpg

Edited by ScooterTDI

Looks like we are all heading softie route these days, it’s easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank looks good!  I finally got some pink skunks after wanting them for 20 years.  They are great fish. 

You still breeding anything?

Thanks! Yea, I'm really digging the skunks. Not breeding anything now, but I might in the future. The pipefish we're a lot of work, so I got kind of burned out after months of caring for them. It was very rewarding though. My ocellaris clowns and molly miller blennies occasionally lay eggs, so I might give them a try.

Added some coral to the tank in the fish closet this morning. Big shout out to Roni and Matt for the awesome frags!
PXL_20220306_183338224.thumb.jpg.f2622f8d217e08a39ca39fc19c64fd6e.jpg

Love the islands! Those sponges are going to be awesome in there! Great location on the bottom too. They grow monti cap like cup patterns!

• 3 months later...

Man Scott, I’m sorry you lost all those sticks but I’m really liking the new look… and the new tank!