ScooterTDI's 12g Long Peninsula

It's PVC trim board, so it's fine with water exposure. The light rack is mostly aluminum, powder coated steel, and stainless screws, so I'm hopeful that it won't rust to quickly. My main display has the lights resting directly on top and I haven't had any issues with the lights themselves yet.  I'm not sure yet, but I may end up using a glass top to keep in fish, protect the lights, and reduce evaporation as well.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I made some more progress today. I installed some shelving, ran an RODI line up from the basement, and started installing some cable management raceways. Almost done now.

IMG_20190516_221825.jpg

IMG_20190516_221840.jpg

IMG_20190516_221852.jpg

Well, almost everything is complete now. I moved and plumbed in the display, did lots of cable management, and set up the dosers. I bought a second light for a larger diy algae scrubber that I'll make sometime in the next several weeks and I have a moderate skimmer upgrade on it's way. I also need to set up the mixing station on the top shelf. Here it is now though:

IMG_20190521_205202.jpg

IMG_20190521_201647.jpg

IMG_20190521_201623.jpg

It’s looking awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Installed a 20g water change reservoir on the top shelf. Now I can make fill the water change reservoir, ATO reservoir, and refill the tank during a water change with just a few valves.

IMG_20190602_133203.jpg

• 5 months later...

Love it! Still clean and looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great looking tank... do you scrape the bottom to keep it clean? Always loved these long skinny narrow tanks

Also what lights are those?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't scrape the bottom, the urchins just do a good job of removing all of the accessible coralline.

The lights are two Current Orbit IC fixtures. Not the best lights, but I wanted something thin that I could mount close to the tank to minimize light spill and have good spread. Plus, the tank depth is shallow, so the lights don't need to be very bright.

I don't scrape the bottom, the urchins just do a good job of removing all of the accessible coralline.

The lights are two Current Orbit IC fixtures. Not the best lights, but I wanted something thin that I could mount close to the tank to minimize light spill and have good spread. Plus, the tank depth is shallow, so the lights don't need to be very bright.
Thanks for the info.. what kind of urchins?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They are captive-bred pincushion and tuxedo urchins from Algaebarn. By far, my favorite algae control solution. The captive-bred ones arrive pretty small, but they are better able to get to all the tight spots between corals.

• 3 months later...
A little over 2 years old. Forgive the dirty glass. I rarely scrape.
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200310125544094_COVER.thumb.jpg.67848780dfabbfe9dd634bc260dd0854.jpg

Looks gorgeous man! Well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Mind blowing!  I can not believe how well things have done with that light!  I wonder how much par your getting from it?  You should share this on reef2reef in the sps forum. People would love it!

On 3/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, GraffitiSpotCorals said:

Mind blowing!  I can not believe how well things have done with that light!  I wonder how much par your getting from it?  You should share this on reef2reef in the sps forum. People would love it!

I haven't measured par, but I imagine it's pretty high intensity given that most corals are less than 6" away. I recently added a 21led reefbar to fill in the middle a bit. The corals that were really high up (Hawkins and purple stylo) weren't getting as much light down the center.

35 minutes ago, GraffitiSpotCorals said:

Also in that newer pic that yellow digi looks much more like how I am used to seeing them. Did your nutrients go up or is it just the camera making it look a different color?

I still think it looks as yellow as any coral can under white light. Nutrients haven't changed much. That picture was filtered through a thick layer of green algae on the glass, so that might be tinting it a bit. :) I cleaned the glass about a week ago, so maybe this picture is a little more clear. (Also attaching a cool picture I took the other day from the end just for fun)

IMG_20200329_090846.jpg

IMG_20200324_081053.jpg

Awesome!  Did you get the pro bar from them or the lower wattage bar?  The pro bar was awesome but cheaply made and got to hot leading to longevity issues for me. I wondered how much longer the lower wattage ones would last and would bet they are a much better product for applications like this. 

1 hour ago, GraffitiSpotCorals said:

Awesome!  Did you get the pro bar from them or the lower wattage bar?  The pro bar was awesome but cheaply made and got to hot leading to longevity issues for me. I wondered how much longer the lower wattage ones would last and would bet they are a much better product for applications like this. 

I just got the regular reefbar. I wanted to keep the aluminum cover that I made to fit between the lights. It is made out of flat bar stock attacked to some C-channel, so the strip light had to fit inside the C-channel. The regular reefbar was basically the only one I could find that was small enough. It's not super bright, but makes the overall light color a little bluer and is plenty bright for corals within 6".

IMG_20200329_130408.jpg

IMG_20200329_130417.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice tank! I’m definitely following along.  That yellow digi is amazing by the way.

• 4 months later...

So, I made a few changes to the fish closet lately. I'm spooling up breeding efforts for blue-striped pipefish, so I set up T-iso and Tetraselmis cultures as well as a couple of pretty dense Apocyclops panamensis cultures. I installed a shelf on the right side of the closet to support a 5g kriesel tank that I made. I've been trying to establish breeding pairs of blue-striped pipefish over the last couple months and now have two mated pairs. I'll see if I can get by with Apocyclops, but I may have to switch to Parvocalanus.

IMG_20200929_215535.jpg

IMG_20200929_215542.jpg

IMG_20200929_215556.jpg

Edited by ScooterTDI

• 2 weeks later...

I got tired of occasionally tripping the breaker due to high startup current of power tools in the garage, so I ran a dedicated 20A circuit for the fish closet yesterday!

IMG_20201012_192544.jpg