thinking about getting an icecap 3k gyre

molcott

The flow percentages can be easily adjusted down to what is needed.  I just put one of the end of my 180g and am really liking it.  The corals like the new flow patterns, the fish took a little while to get used to it but they seem to be much more active now also. 

The directions that came with it aren't the best for adjusting the different modes but plenty of youtube videos on the subject

The flow percentages can be easily adjusted down to what is needed. I just put one of the end of my 180g and am really liking it. The corals like the new flow patterns, the fish took a little while to get used to it but they seem to be much more active now also.

The directions that came with it aren't the best for adjusting the different modes but plenty of youtube videos on the subject

I thought about putting one on each end of my 180. Would that be enough flow for the entire tank?

All the of the Gyres seem to be fairly maintenance intensive. As for the original question, no, I dont think they're too much at all; I run a pair of MP40s (also 3000gph) on my 75g almost maxed out (step 10 of 12). They can be turned down if you find it too much but have headroom if you decide to go bigger at a later date. 

All the of the Gyres seem to be fairly maintenance intensive. As for the original question, no, I dont think they're too much at all; I run a pair of MP40s (also 3000gph) on my 75g almost maxed out (step 10 of 12). They can be turned down if you find it too much but have headroom if you decide to go bigger at a later date. 

This, about maintenance. I hate them because of this. SO MANY PARTS. I am going with vortechs for my new build.

Agreed that maintenance is a pain compared to standard prop powerheads, but after the learning curve, it's not too bad.

One advantage to the gyres is that you can place them close to corals and aim the flow up and over.

I have a maxxspect x230 and the controller died within 3 months, but they replaced it under warranty.

Edited by tygger

If the 250s aren't physically too big for your tank, I'd recommend those. Gives you more options to turn up/down the flow rate. Keep in mind that these pumps operating at +70% sounds noticeable.

Edited by tygger