Hanna checker

1bitereefer

Hi guys looking at picking up alkalinity and calcium Hanna checkers. Do you use and like them? Also for alkalinity there are 2 the alkalinity Ppm and alkalinity dkh which one should I get?

I have both.

I have used the alkalinity checker for years. It's good. I periodically test with multiple kits to cross-check my measurements. I'll use Salifert, Red Sea Pro, Hanna and, more recently, ITS's Exact iDip system.  Whether your measurement is in ppm or dKH doesn't matter. It's personal preference. Those that have been in the hobby tend to talk dKH. However, dKH and ppm and meq/liter are all the same measurement but using different scales. 50 ppm = 2.8 dKH = 1 meq/liter.

Hanna's calcium checker started out as very sensitive giving everybody fits with its sporadic measurements. Hanna ultimately updated the test procedure, but I've never got around to using the calcium checker and even today don't use it because I other kits I have come to rely on and to trust. For calcium, I'll use Salifert, Red Sea Pro and the ITS Exact iDip.

If you want ease of operation and hands down repeatability, stick with Salifert test kits. No batteries, no little reagent pouches, no spots on glass cuvets messing up test readings.

I've been using them for 15 years now without issue.

I think that Hanna checkers are great and use them to monitor Alk, CA and P04. But everyone is different as you will see.

As for your question about the alk tester, I choose to monitor it using the dkh scale but it all depends on how you want to see your reading displayed.

• 5 months later...

Like Tom, I have multiple checkers and chemical tests. I only routinely test for Alk and much prefer Salifert for ease of use, reproducibility, and speed/reliability over Hanna. Having said that, I have not used ITS's Exact Dip [gonna check it out/Thanks Tom]

Like Tom, I have multiple checkers and chemical tests. I only routinely test for Alk and much prefer Salifert for ease of use, reproducibility, and speed/reliability over Hanna. Having said that, I have not used ITS's Exact Dip [gonna check it out/Thanks Tom]

Welcome back, Steve! It's been a long while....

(edited)

[Thanks Tom :-) Life got in the way, but my reef is hanging in. . . Is good to be back and looking forward to the next meeting!]

Edited by Steve175