tank overhaul -help!

LoveMyPets

My 45 gallon reef tank sprang a leak while I was away for the holidays. Neighbor tried to seal it but failed. Meanwhile, the tank was 2/3s empty with skimmer, filter & refugium shut off as they were above the water line. When I got home, the remaining fish & corals were stressed, so I set up two 10 gallon hospital tanks. I stripped & resealed the leaky seam but as I've had the tank for 12 years & bought it used, I think I should just use this opportunity to overhaul the whole tank. While I have watched DIY videos & have done patchwork, I'd feel more secure if a professional handled this. Are there tank repairmen in the area? I'm in N.VA.

Why don't you use this opportunity for a new tank? 

If you become a WAMAS member, you can gain access to the WTB/FS/TRADE forum, and there are lots of good deals about. 

I am in Vienna and have a 54 gal brute trashcan only used for water you can borrow to keep critters in until you get another tank.  If I were you, I would go for a new tank - It's probably not much more expensive than fixing your old one.

Sure you may fix the patch, but what about the remaining deteriorating 15 year old silicone? It could spring a new leak any time. You obviously love the hobby and won’t be getting out anytime soon. Upgradeeeeee timeeeeee! The cost of the tank seems to be the smallest amount. It’s the skimmer, power heads etc etc that add up and you already have that

Edited by gmerek2

• 2 weeks later...

It's only a 45 gallon tank... just get another one. If you look in FS section or post a WTB, you may be able to get a good deal on a used one.

Edited by treesprite