Water Changes on the Down Low

20LogR

So i'm going to put a Fluval Spec V on my desk at work and i'm looking for creative ideas on how to do water changes without a ton of tubing and homer buckets. Trying to avoid everyone in the building asking questions.

Its going to be in a corner so i wont have a lot of room to work with, I was thinking an aqua lifter to put water in from a container(trash can?) under the desk. Not sure what the best way would be to get water out and to a sink.

Anyone have tanks at work? What do you do? 

Just bring a gallon jug of saltwater. Everyone will just thinking your trying to hydrate. As long as you don’t overstock the tank you would really only need to change a gallon every 2 weeks or once a month

And you could just have an empty gallon jug and 2 feet of tubing for the water change.

Edited by epleeds

So nobody's going to notice the tank on your desk?

I like the idea of just using an empty milk jug. Then just take and empty it in the restroom or if you have a kitchen area, dump it in the sink. Don't feel like it's a big deal and you won't look it. However, if there's a written policy or clauses in the building lease that you're aware of that prohibit the tank, then don't.

I've gotten a nod from everyone that matters. I'm more worried about it becoming a distraction, which they will have an issue with. Out of sight - out of mind is what i'm going for. That and i'm trying to not make a mess all over my desk.

How about keeping some tubing in the milk jug and then, when it's time for a water change, just pull it out and start a siphon? If you bent some rigid tubing around the lip of the tank, you could just hang the tubing on the edge of the tank, start a siphon, and walk away leaving it to remove a fixed amount of water every time. Then just refill from your other milk jug with the clean change water.

Correct, the ridgid tubing is your safety.  The tank will only drain down to the tubing intake, at that point a siphon break will occur.   Measure down on tank to the level you would want to take out (i.e., one gallon) and then cut the ridgid u-bent tubing to this level.  Then hang on the tank and attach flexible tubing down to your waste jug.

Ridged & flexible airline tubing should be sufficient and wont create a 'water draining' sound that would cause concern with our coworkers.

There are some airline holders that will nicely bend flexible airline over a tankwall if you dont want to use ridgid tubing.

Edited by rioreef