Experienced “fragger” needed

Jeskay14

Hi,

I’ve been in the hobby for a few years now and have a few things that have grown out nicely that I would like to frag. Specifically a beautiful and rare piece, the Mohican paly which I got from a good friend of mine. I have no experience fragging and would love if someone could swing by sometime these next few weeks and give me a little tutorial. I’d be happy to throw a polyp or two your way for the help.

I understand I could just look it up on the internet but I️ feel I would be better off learning hands on, and this is a super expensive piece so I wouldn’t want to screw up. Hope you guys can help me out!

Happy holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not a pro but could help. It’s a lot easer than people think. If you can remove the rock from the tank it’s super easy. What’s your location?

Be very careful fragging. Have gloves. Be ready to do a waterchange because you won’t want to add the paly water back into your display.

Fragging zoas and palys is generally pretty straightforward. However, both can have varying levels of palytoxin which can be deadly in very, very small amounts. There is a palythoa species that's found (among other places) here in the DC region that's ugly, but potent. I doubt that it's the one that you want to frag and share. 

You're going to want to wear gloves and safety glasses at the very least. Make sure any open wounds are covered. If you're worried that you may have one of the potent varieties, I've had success wearing a pesticide-rated respirator.

Read this article for pointers on how NOT to frag zoanthids.

With safety in mind, you can reference this article for the how to part.

I gotcha brah. Lmk when works, super easy.

I’m not a pro but could help. It’s a lot easer than people think. If you can remove the rock from the tank it’s super easy. What’s your location?

its sitting in the sand bed in my frag tank

Fragging zoas and palys is generally pretty straightforward. However, both can have varying levels of palytoxin which can be deadly in very, very small amounts. There is a palythoa species that's found (among other places) here in the DC region that's ugly, but potent. I doubt that it's the one that you want to frag and share.

You're going to want to wear gloves and safety glasses at the very least. Make sure any open wounds are covered. If you're worried that you may have one of the potent varieties, I've had success wearing a pesticide-rated respirator.

Read this article for pointers on how NOT to frag zoanthids.

With safety in mind, you can reference this article for the how to part.

thanks so much for the info and article, very helpful!

thanks so much for the info and article, very helpful!

You're welcome. As Isaac (YHSublime) said, it's easy. You should always make sure that you have the proper PPE (personal protection equipment) on hand. Aerosolized palytoxin exposure is unlikely (but non-zero probability), but gloves and eye protection (to keep from getting squirted) is highly recommended.

Yea have an experienced person help. You wouldn’t want to lose the last of your Mohicans. No pun intended sometimes it takes a trained hand.

Yea have an experienced person help. You wouldn’t want to lose the last of your Mohicans. No pun intended sometimes it takes a trained hand.

Haha, I'm sure you didn't intend that pun ;)