Apex records power loss/surge in Ashburn

rioreef

Today in the morning I lost power for about 1 second and all came back. I know businesses in Ashburn were also hit. Everything on the tank came back on however this evening I looked at Fusion and noticed the Amp usage tile. Spiked at 31.6 !!!!

Is this normally what happens when power is restored after an outage and what the Apex is subjected to? Should the Apex/EB8 be placed on a surge protector or only straight to wall socket and install a whole house surge protector?

post-490-0-55252700-1512265001_thumb.jpeg

That's showing a current surge, not a voltage surge. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd trust that measurement. If the power was off and then jumped back on, and you didn't have the Apex on a backup supply, then the analog to digital converter voltage references may have been in flux with bad measurements resulting. In any case, it would probably not be a bad idea to have your Apex on a surge protector. A whole-house surge protector is an even better idea. I lost over $6,000 worth of stuff in  the house back in the summer of 2016 due to a lightning strike right next to the house. Luckily, insurance covered the losses, but whole-house protection could have saved me a lot of headache.

No backup supply. Is it ok to put the EB8 on a surge protector? In a sense daisy chaining power strips?

Any idea on cost for whole house surge protector?

It's a legitimate OSHA configuration, so it's probably OK from that viewpoint. However, if you're running lights with a big magnetic ballast (like metal halides), it may or may not work. Sometimes those ballasts, when combined with a surge protector, will trip a GFCI. It happened to me.

You can get a whole-house surge protector for about $100-$150 as I recall. That's per-panel. (I have two coming into my house, so it's double that for me.)