Buying fish

Nakie31

Hello everyone I would like to know what are your take on buying fish where do you prefer to buy from. I have limited options so I wounder how do you feel about buying from petco. I did buy my snowflake clown from them and it’s doing great. So if you could let me know where you buy thanks.

It seems like my local Petco's doesn't have the fish I'm looking for and if they do its full of ich.  I usually try to buy at LFS.

I’m interested in hearing people’s opinions on best local places to get fish also. I’ve been to several LFS in the area, and have been really impressed so far. List of places I’ve found:

Blue Ribbon Koi (Manassas)

Reef eScape (Fairfax)

Quantum Reefs (Springfield)

For corals... definitely check out Ben at Supreme Reefs. He sells online, but is located in Springfield, and you can make an appointment to check out what he has (a lot more than just what’s on the website).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've bought all my fish from Reef Escape or Quantum and all have been healthy specimens. I've purchased corals from Ben at Supreme Reefs, Quantum, and BRK, also all healthy specimens. 

I would recommend your getting to know some of our local sponsors:

Marco at Exotic Reef Creations (PM him here. His user name is Monkiboy.). He's in Maryland on the north side of the beltway.

Blue Ribbon Koi & Marine, a little west of Manassas.

Capital Aquarium in Manassas.

Reef EScape (Fairfax)

I don't buy as many fish these days as at the start of the hobby. My last fish were either bought from or given to me by other WAMAS members. Of the list above, I've personally bought fish from BRK and from Reef EScape, both longtime WAMAS sponsors and in it for the long haul.

Thanks for considering buying your fish locally. It means a lot to our local businesses that you're doing that. 

Thank you all for your input I live in DC. I got my clown from petco but now I am a little leery to buy from there now just a feeling I have after hearing others horror stories, but my clown is fine. When I first started my journey in this hobby I went to Quantum, but now I mainly visit tropical in SIlver springs. I meet a guy that has been in the hobby for a while, but I can’t remember his name but he said Congressional in Rockville is the that’s the name is a good lfs so I might try there.

• 2 weeks later...

Buying a healthy specimen is very important. I kept Fish only aquarium for 13 years and I can't stressed enough buying a healthy fish. I think you will need to shop around. Go visit your LFS and stare at some fish. Once you gain enough experience, you will be able to identify nice healthy fish. Few tips are

- Fish looks clean, you do not see any spots and fins look great

- Look for an active, bold fish

- Make sure they are eating

- Make sure to look at its tank mates and they are healthy as well.