Refugium Turnover rate

motti

I am trying to optimize the flow throughout my system. 

I have a 50g refugium, which is connected to the display tank (270), sump (40-80) and a frag tank (30).

What should be the idea turnover rate for the refugium based on the size of this system? would 2x or 3x be enough? I don't have a lot of growth in there, the refugium is pretty much used as a food source, and some softies.. 

I have no idea what the flow rate on my system is; 5x seems to be conventional wisdom but I have no idea what the figure is based on. Triton shoots for 10x but I dont see why that wouldnt work on any system (or if less would affect their system). 

I get better growth with more flow. My refuge is about 9 gallons and I have a sicce syncra 1.5 running water through it. It's rated for 358 gph but I'm guessing with head loss I'm getting around 300-325 gph. I had a smaller pump before and was getting a 10x turn over rate. Nothing was growing well. When I replaced the pump and things started getting blown around and tumbled the gracilaria and caulerpa took off.  

I just did some gonkulating and it looks like I'm running about 345gph after head and flow loss (speed setting three on a Waveline DC-6000) which is approx 4.5x. 

Edited by madweazl

I was thinking about this again today and thought my numbers seemed a bit off. I had calculated the head loss wrong and was actually only getting about 270gph flow rate (assuming 80% efficiency with the plumbing) and that is roughly 3.5x turn over rate. Curious, I went ahead and bumped that up to 450gph for 6x turnover rate (speed step five on the pump); we'll see if that brings about any changes but I doubt I'll see much of a difference. 

This did marginally increase the water level in the tank so I'll have to mix up some additional water for todays water change.