Uv flow rate help

pizzaguy

I have a aqua uv 57 watt with wiper. What should the flow rate be on a reef aquarium? First time user of a uv so wanna make sure its correct

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I've been using a 40W and I have been putting about 300gph, your 57w could probably handle 375gph

I replace my bulb each year and clean  the sleeve at least once a year in vinegar.

Same unit and sleeve since 2004 but have put a new bulb each year or real close to it.

You won't be disappointed and don't listen to the nay sayers of UV. Been using it for about 30 years.

This is what confuses me. It says for reef use the 30000 to 45000 column which puts the gph over 2000.32ce93671a1605dc25d785d6a5d8d438.jpg

If i can do as you recommended 300 to 400 gph that would be perfect as i can just run off my return pump manifold.

You want to maximize the contact time the water column has to pass the lamp so I would stick with what Chip is saying vs the information above. I had one on my freshwater but never used one on my reef tank.

It depends what you are using the sterilizer for - parasite control or algae/bacteria control. For parasites, you need longer contact times, so lower flowrates. For algae/bacteria, less contact time is needed, so higher flowrates. See this DFS article: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=440

The low contact time recommendation for reef tanks has to do with planktonic food supply. Not really sure how much would get killed at greater contact times (lower flowrates) and whether that would have any noticeable effect on a reef tank.

Edited by cpu933k

To kill disease off, use the last two columns of the chart. That also kills planktonic life (algae, small critters that go through the UV). To preserve life and sacrifice disease protection, use the first two columns. Slower rates will dose more UV. 300 gph through this 57W sterilizer will kill disease and plankton. Three times that will still deliver a lethal dose.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So i have two of these uv lights. Considering running both. One at low flow one at higher flow. Whats thoughts on that?

So i have two of these uv lights. Considering running both. One at low flow one at higher flow. Whats thoughts on that?

No added benefit frm the high-flow one. The effect of the low-flow unit will predominate. Better to keep the second unit on hand as a spare, if anything.

I have yet to see any real benefit from using a sterilizer other than to clear an algae bloom.

When we serviced the petsmarts, they had a unit with 8) 40w bulbs just to keep algae blooms at bay. There was no other use for them.

Killing disease parasites probably works if all the parasites go through it, but that only happens in a lab, not in a real world aquarium.

Good for algae blooms, hype for everything else.

Been running for 3 days now and water is crystal clear for sure and less algae on the glass. If it helps keep disease at bay thats good enough for me. Ive never had a disease problem anyways but a little preventative measures surely wont hurt

Off of manifold. So i had to guesstimate. Target was 350 to 400 gph