Plumbing a bulkhead to tubing instead of PVC

YHSublime

So the way my stand is setup, there is no way to plumb with 3/4 piping for the return because the bulkhead puts it out too far.

Hole is drilled already, and I've resigned myself to using tubing instead of PVC for the return. 

Pump is an M5. What kind of adapter am I looking to add to the bulkhead to convert to tubing, or what am I looking for PVC wise to convert to tubing off the bulkhead. 

A google search has returned my answer, I'm looking for a thread to barb, or slip to barb. 

Have you considered flex pvc?

Yes. That's pretty much what I'm talking about. The drains are all very clean, and plumbed, no leaks, but there is no way I can drop the hard PVC at a 90 degree angle due to the way the bulkhead sticks out too far. Even if I cut the bulkhead down, which I did, it doesn't give me a straight drop. 

Yes. That's pretty much what I'm talking about. The drains are all very clean, and plumbed, no leaks, but there is no way I can drop the hard PVC at a 90 degree angle due to the way the bulkhead sticks out too far. Even if I cut the bulkhead down, which I did, it doesn't give me a straight drop. 

Flex PVC is awesome as it has the same properties and characteristics as regular rigid pvc and use exactly the same fittings and couplings.  Plus it flexes and also can be adjusted with a heat gun (to flex more ore make it more straights for example). Lowes in chantilly (off Rte 29) used to carry some

Have you considered the use of two 45* elbows to get the alignment right? 

Have you considered the use of two 45* elbows to get the alignment right?

To create a triangle of sorts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not a triangle but something like this. It will keep some of the flow restriction down by using the 45* elbows instead of creating sharp turns. Additionally, if you use a sweep 90* elbow the angle is more gradual and not as abrupt.e98096cc54e13f0885cd4130d9e08fd7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by tom39

Ah. I think you misunderstood. I'm drilling through my stand in order to create the room for the pipes to drop. 

Sooo, I am interested in seeing what did you come up with for this plumbing

Still nothing. Temporary solution worked. Fixing tonight.

Are you happy with the temporary solution to make it permanent or can you post a pic?

I can not grasp what you are trying to do.

I have about 35 years of accumulated fittings looking to make someones day.

btw if I like the pic of your rigging enough, I might make it a temporary profile pic since I've had the pizza pic up since like 2005

Are you happy with the temporary solution to make it permanent or can you post a pic?

I can not grasp what you are trying to do.

I have about 35 years of accumulated fittings looking to make someones day.

btw if I like the pic of your rigging enough, I might make it a temporary profile pic since I've had the pizza pic up since like 2005

f72356986941598a08b683b76a1d0a0a.jpg

8db97432ce7fa0d0758f0a6d10e7920d.jpg

The hole a little uneven is for the return. The stands frame covers about 1/4 of the hole. The 3/4 tubing slides down, but off the bulkhead, and 90 degree elbow, Houston through at an angle (see return top picture, left side.)

Ah, so this is a misalignment issue? Are all three holes misaligned, or only the grouping of two? How much misalignment is there?

Ah, so this is a misalignment issue? Are all three holes misaligned, or only the grouping of two? How much misalignment is there?

The grouping of two are for the herbie, and are perfect. However, the stand was built around the overflow, not the return, and i simply did not provide enough depth to account for an elbow off the bulkhead. No matter what I do with the PVC, it will tug on the bulkhead and slant through the hole, unless I drill through the frame. Flex tubing is the only solution. Tried to pick up a thread x 3/4 barb at quantum, but they didn't have the bulkhead,I have locline for the return, but it seems they are only threaded. I forgot the headache of plumbing, I should have done this all when I placed my BRS order, I thought I had my bases covered. 

Since it is just a misalignment issue, a simple length of flex-pvc instead of rigid will be perfect.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samar-1-3-4-in-x-1-ft-Flex-Pvc-Hose/50315945

yup. 

Actually, have you looked into a street elbow off the back of the bulkhead?  It will sit much closer to the bulkhead.  Look for a 3/4" street x spigot elbow.  The outside of one of the legs of the elbow is pipe size so it fits inside the bulkhead instead of needing a piece of pipe and sitting at the end of the bulkhead.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-3-4-in-Schedule-40-PVC-90-Degree-Street-Elbow-C409-007/100344965

Thanks Alan, That will be helpful, especially because I'll be running a 3/4 slip x barb straight down off the elbow. 

Well. I had the perfect solution. Had everything I needed tonight, got it up and running.

And I also installed the gasket of the bulkhead on the wrong side. Noticed after everything was glued up.

Well. At least I know it works. 

now do you buy it all again and put the bulkhead on the right side?

Yes, I'll have to saw it off. Stupid is as stupid does

Use a ratcheting pvc cutter on it. Don’t saw or you might break the glass.

Yeah, blades should be able to do it on my PVC cutter. This will give me the opportunity to order a 3/4 thread x slip bulkhead, apparently lockline only does threaded adapters for their nozzles.

I really wish there was one central location that had all these odds and ends. I've had to piece meal parts from BRS/Quantum/Home Depot/Lowes, they all have separate parts of the equation.