Glass cleaning tips and tricks?

dnoll

I've been using a glass cleaner with metal blade on one side and cleaning pad on the other: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/flipper-magnetic-cleaner.html

After several months of use, I have noticed more and more scratch lines across my tank, probably from cleaning with the blade side  (perhaps when a bit of sand gets caught in it?)

Does anyone have any best practices on avoiding scratches while cleaning the glass?

The only thing I have ever scratched my tank with is sand so avoid the heck out of it. I use the magfloat scrape only when removing corraline. It does wear out and I have to replace the blade but I have never seen a blade scratch the glass I am guessing the metal used is softer than glass? Bought mine from our sponsor premium aquatics. I always rinse after use. When moving frag racks I have to be extra careful because the wrasse flings sand on them and all over the place.

I use the Magfloat with the scraper as well and haven't had any issues on standard glass (I've read that Starfire is a bit more prone to scratching) but I'm careful to not drag any sand with it. Maybe the Flipper's have stronger magnets?

I use the Magfloat with the scraper as well and haven't had any issues on standard glass (I've read that Starfire is a bit more prone to scratching) but I'm careful to not drag any sand with it. Maybe the Flipper's have stronger magnets?

I also use a magfloat with a scraper when removing stubborn stuff. 

If you have a low-iron glass tank (like Starfire), then your glass is softer and easier to scratch. Your sand can be an issue especially if it's a silica sand (rather than aragonite). But any sand caught under the pad can leave scratches, even in regular glass. I'll often drive my scraper right down onto the sand surface (and a little below). I've never had any issue with sand getting caught under the blade - sometimes behind the blade, but then it just falls out when I turn the blade on it's side. I'm careful about checking the pads before and after cleaning to remove any sand that I may have picked up along the way, though.

Thanks. I think the lesson I learned is that for the Flipper brand of scrapper its scrubbing pad is very prone to trapping sand in it. So I would almost say that you should only use the blade and never the scrubber side.

Thanks. I think the lesson I learned is that for the Flipper brand of scrapper its scrubbing pad is very prone to trapping sand in it. So I would almost say that you should only use the blade and never the scrubber side.

Good to know and be on the lookout for. From time-to-time, I've considered getting one.

I recently got a flipper. It cleans really well and takes fewer passes than my magfloat. I haven't used the scraper yet. I have reefflakes so no worries about sand getting trapped. I also remove it and rinse after each use.