Setting up a budget nano tank, tips needed

razzpatazzz

I got my hands on a fluval spec V and want to turn it into a budget (100~200$) mini reef. At first I wanted to keep some anemones and inverts but I'm not sure if thats possible in a "budget" setting. If not, some really simple softies would be interesting as well. So the plan is no skimmer(a lot of water changes), replace sponge with filter floss and chemipure + purigen, upgrade light and purchase a power head. 

For lighting, I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for the nanobox mini, current, and finnex lighting. It can't hang more than like 7~ inches above the tank since it's under a shelf and it's next to my work area, so I would prefer it to be lower so it doesn't shine directly into my eyes. I was leaning towards finding used lighting so it doesn't eat into the budget, but if I ended up picking a new light, what would you recommend for keeping anemones or keeping softies?

For the power head, I'm not sure what to look for. Seems like there's a million power heads around the $20 mark on amazon, all around the 200~500GPH range. Is there a brand I should look for and is a powerhead even necessary in a tank this small with the pump running constantly?

And for filtration, the floss + chemipure + purigen is what I read a lot on the nano tank forums when I was looking in to starting this. If there is a better method or other tips, please let me know! Thanks.

Rapidled makes a nice Par38 bulb you could put on a gooseneck:

https://www.rapidled.com/12-led-par38-bulb-mixed-color/

Instead of filter floss buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHIOM8A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the tip! Do you think that light will be strong enough for anemones?

The tank is too small for a normal anemone. You could do some carpet nems though probably.

But to answer your question, I honestly don't know if it's powerful enough. I will say 12 LED's is a lot. I once had 24 LED kit from rapid and had an anemone in a 29gal tank. If I had to make up my own rule of thumb for LED lighting it would be 1 LED per gallon.

The tank is too small for a normal anemone. You could do some carpet nems though probably.

But to answer your question, I honestly don't know if it's powerful enough. I will say 12 LED's is a lot. I once had 24 LED kit from rapid and had an anemone in a 29gal tank. If I had to make up my own rule of thumb for LED lighting it would be 1 LED per gallon.

Yeah should've clarified. I was thinking rock flowers or maybe a mini carpet. If I try anemones maybe it would smarter to get more known brands for the reliability? Thank you for the tip

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I would consider doing a FOWLR with a pair of your favorite nano fish.  A mated pair of neon gobies, a goby/shrimp combo, a couple blennies, or something similar.  I think you've got much better chances with a fish only tank.

I say this because while you can assemble a functioning reef tank for $200, you'll be hard pressed to make it successful without a ton of effort that will cost you more money in the long run.

Marginal filtration plus reef lighting equals algae.  I think this is even more true for nano tanks, and a 5-gal tank is very nano.  Once algae gets a foothold it will be the new focus of your nano.  You can't add a tang or rabbitfish to help keep algae under control, so you'll be routinely changing carbon/purigen/chemipure and dosing Vibrant and fluconazole.  Before you know it you've spent a whole lot more time and energy maintaining your tank than you ever spent setting it up.

Sorry if this comes across all doom and gloom...I'm actually trying to be helpful!

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I would consider doing a FOWLR with a pair of your favorite nano fish.  A mated pair of neon gobies, a goby/shrimp combo, a couple blennies, or something similar.  I think you've got much better chances with a fish only tank.

I say this because while you can assemble a functioning reef tank for $200, you'll be hard pressed to make it successful without a ton of effort that will cost you more money in the long run.

Marginal filtration plus reef lighting equals algae.  I think this is even more true for nano tanks, and a 5-gal tank is very nano.  Once algae gets a foothold it will be the new focus of your nano.  You can't add a tang or rabbitfish to help keep algae under control, so you'll be routinely changing carbon/purigen/chemipure and dosing Vibrant and fluconazole.  Before you know it you've spent a whole lot more time and energy maintaining your tank than you ever spent setting it up.

Sorry if this comes across all doom and gloom...I'm actually trying to be helpful!

No no I appreciate the tips, I'm still fairly new to everything so all tips are appreciated.

So I don't really mind increasing the budget if needed for a reef, $200 was just something I came up with to not overspend on random things like I tend to do. What would you recommend instead for filtration? The mechanical filter/ chemipure/ purigen thing was just something I found online as a top that people recommended would work well. I'm assuming you mean getting a skimmer?

Have you checked out nanoreef.com...thats a good community and worth browsing through their TOTMs given your interest. Dipg here in WAMAS was one of those before he went to a much bigger tank, and he might be a good person to chat up sometime.

Have you checked out nanoreef.com...thats a good community and worth browsing through their TOTMs given your interest. Dipg here in WAMAS was one of those before he went to a much bigger tank, and he might be a good person to chat up sometime.

Yeah thats where i found the chemipure recommendations. I didn't think to check the totms, I'll try it thank you for the advice