DIY MP40 Extension Cable

tom39

Every time I try and mount an Ecotech pump driver, I always find that the 8' length of cord that goes between the dry-side and the driver, never seems to be enough length to insure that the driver will be far enough away to not be in danger of being splashed or subjected to saltwater degradation in some fashion.

So I in an effort to find a solution I made it my goal to find a way to extend my Ecotech MP40QD cable.

At first I attempted to contact Ecotech and see if they could help me. The response that I got was that they could lengthen the cable for me but that I would have to send the dry-side into them for service. I am very confident that what they were proposing would certainly work but the issue that I had with their plan was that, what they were providing was not an extension cable but that they would cut the cable of my new QD pump and splice in a length of cord. In other words, what they were doing was only good for 1 pump and if I had a pump failure, I would have pay for them to do it again. I didn't like that Idea at all. For one the cost for them to lengthen 1 cord was $50. By the time I had them lengthen 3 pumps (2 for immediate use and 1 for a backup) and pay to ship them both directions, I would have about $200 into it.

Back to the drawling board I go.....

My next idea was to scrounge through my box of junk and use the cords from old dry-side pumps and and make my own extension cable. The problem was that I apparently discarded or gave away my old MP40 dry-sides and could not find anyone that was willing part with any worn out or broken dry-sides that they had.

Back to the drawling board I go.....

My new modified my plan was to purchase some 10 conductor - 22 gauge shielded cable, 2 pair of Molex 10-pin connectors and a crimp tool and make my own cables. It took me a few tries to become proficient at getting the wire stripped back at the right length and making sure that the end was properly inserted in the tool. But once I did it a few times everything went well and I finished the cables without a problem.

My final product works perfect and I could not be happier. The cable that I made provides me an additional 5' of length which will allow me to house my driver in my equipment closet away from the possibility of any degradation caused by saltwater.

Thanks for looking,

Tom G

059b9434dadb64d996211c52aeafc72d.jpg

Edited by tom39