Salteacup's Office Pico

salteacup

My first saltwater tank is an old betta tank! I had a lot of help, and a few crashes, but now it is filling out!

They said that picos would be hard, but this sucker is on auto pilot now. Before it that it was a cup water change once a week. Much easier than betta water changes. 

The tank is a Marrineland Contour 3 Gallon

UV HOB (filled with Chaeto!): Aquatop PF15-UV

Light: Niello 18W

Fixture: Ikea

Media: Chemipure Blue, Phosguard, and Purigen in the stock filter area.

Stock List:

1x Emerald Crab

1x "Assorted" Damsel Fish (It used to have a yellow tail!!)

1x Snail

4x Mini hermits

9 million bristle worms - I can throw a hand full of food every day and there will never be leftovers or parameter spikes!

Planimals

Random zoas

Small Sun Coral frag

Blue/Purple Sponge

Random mushroom

Xenia forever

surviving chunk of Red Macro

Cheato in the HOB

Other

a graveyard of the many...many..many things that I have killed.

Desk view

gallery_2636378_2_1727135.jpg

Lovely Xenia Stairs! They grew like that naturally.

gallery_2636378_2_1184114.jpg

Another View!

gallery_2636378_2_327273.jpg

The two greedy guts of the tank. The sun coral eats and opens during the day, but I can't say if it's growing...
gallery_2636378_2_45153.jpg

Bonus waterline shot!

Pico Xena Water Line

Edited by salteacup

I chucked the plants in the filter area and poke at it every few weeks. The UV light always stays on. Since it is clear, I guess it gets enough light from the overhead...can't say if it is doing anything though!

That being said, parameter are always perfect, even if I throw a hand full of pellets in every day!

When you first put the xenia in, was it low and then it travelled up, or was it high travelling down? I'm guessing the stair effect growth pattern was an effort to either reach more light or get away from too much light.

I threw a few pieces of it free floating into the tank! Some of it attached to the back wall (as well as the glass, but I scraped that one off and gave it away). One attached to the middle of the rock, another in the dead plug grave yard. The damsel keeps tearing pieces of it off and they reattached wherever they can stay put. I think it's not anywhere else because the fish will kill/bury/move anything in the sand. He will knock plugs off the rock at least once a week, dig holes, spray sand, and is strong enough to pick up a small frag plug.

The colorful zoas had to be dug up every day until they grew enough past the sand to not be completely buried.

• 1 month later...

The tank is trucking along super well! I did a huge trim of Xena, and was gifted a lovely Neon Green Sinularia frag. I have fragged the purple sponge three times, and it is still a good size. Sadly, I think the emerald crab is dead. I haven't seen it in a long time and have more algae on the rocks.

gallery_2636378_1721_1368919.jpg

A lot of new polyps since the last update! Before, they zoas would be alive, but not getting bigger with longer lashes and making new ployps. The Orange face polyps were at only 1 for MONTHS. Now I have THREE of those. I've even been able to frag off some from the big mixed color colony. I'm not sure what changed...

gallery_2636378_1721_1476266.jpg

I love the way they look on the rock. The Sun coral is still there, but very grumpy from the trim and harassment from troll fish. The zoas are starting to cover it too.... There is also some pink sponge now.  I've heard it can grow over corals. I haven't had any issues like that yet.

gallery_2636378_1721_1437874.jpg

Here is a side view. Neon Green Sinularia and button polyp are little grumpy, but add a nice green. The Xenia is still grumpy from getting trimmed. Some of the chunks haven't pulsed for a few days. I was not very gentle with it...

gallery_2636378_1721_2375122.jpg

Here is a shot with the button coral open. It's been opening up now that it is no longer covered in Xenia. There are some brown mushrooms in the pic too, but they blend in with the dead frags really well.

gallery_2636378_1721_1943168.jpg