A New Dawn

madweazl

Looking good! I have been debating whether or not to install fans on the back of the SUMP chamber where there is an opening but honestly we do not want to listen to a fan in the living room at all. 

Do you have heaters in the back chamber?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Reefoholic said:

Looking good! I have been debating whether or not to install fans on the back of the SUMP chamber where there is an opening but honestly we do not want to listen to a fan in the living room at all. 

Do you have heaters in the back chamber?

The heaters are mounted on the left and right sides of the back panel until the sump arrives (at which point they'll be relocated). The center overflow only has the herbie plumbing and return in it. I'm not sure what you have for lighting but these fans are a touch louder than those of the Kessils; on low, they produce less noise than the Kessils. There are a lot of quiet fan options you could go with that are under 25dB (you wont hear them) if you need one. 

17 minutes ago, madweazl said:

The heaters are mounted on the left and right sides of the back panel until the sump arrives (at which point they'll be relocated). The center overflow only has the herbie plumbing and return in it. I'm not sure what you have for lighting but these fans are a touch louder than those of the Kessils; on low, they produce less noise than the Kessils. There are a lot of quiet fan options you could go with that are under 25dB (you wont hear them) if you need one. 

I am thinking about switching to a Kessil360W from my AI Prime HD but I have a Reefer 170 with an open setup so there won't be anything to cool with the main tank. I was considering installing one fan inside the SUMP to move air around. 

• 2 weeks later...
At a bit of a cross-roads; do I buy a small welding machine and do it myself or take it somewhere and have it buttoned up for me... 6xT5 with 3 (or 4) Kessils.

48129755662_98b6192018_b.jpg

Local truck forum probably has somebody who could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In about 24 hours, I should have a pair of "you build" Avast MR-5 Reactors ready to go. I ditched the black PVC and subbed some red to match the sump (should it ever arrive...). 

48174761916_2af5322254_b.jpg

At a bit of a cross-roads; do I buy a small welding machine and do it myself or take it somewhere and have it buttoned up for me... 6xT5 with 3 (or 4) Kessils.   48129755662_98b6192018_b.jpg
Where did you get the parts for your light assembly? I was considering doing something like that myself instead of buying the aquaticlife fixture.

-A-a-ron

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Elite Aquatics failed to come through; they'd estimated 4-5 weeks for completion and another week for delivery but after 10 weeks, nothing had happened. Ended up disputing the charge through PayPal and got the refund notice today. A shame that so much time has been wasted but I ordered a Synergy Reef TS-44; here's hoping it arrives soon! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Filled the tank with tap water almost three months ago now and it still hasnt had an "ugly" phase.

48658458422_4eba55c439_b.jpg

I'm hoping to have the sump plumbed in this week so I can fill the tank the rest of the way and get the reactors online to clean up the water and get the phosphates at a level more desirable (over 200ppm at the moment). This rock had the base of two acroporas that I broke off before transferring to the tank. One took a digger within days but the other has started to encrust the original plug. Makes you wonder just how "bad" phosphates really are.

48658458062_92f8a75573_b.jpg

Edited by madweazl

Gonna look pretty nice once I hang the peg board and get to finishing up the stand (applying Red Guard, running a small piece of trim around the perimeter so it will hold some water, and then painting the top white). Also need to drill the hole in the table top for the drain and run the plumbing for that. I'll get it done one of these centuries...

48659145273_d207835b27_b.jpg

I’ve noticed tanks with what are considered higher phosphates have brighter colors with sps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 9/3/2019 at 6:27 PM, lynn.reef.nerd said:

We have a welding machine. In Glen Burnie though.

I ended up screwing it together but appreciate the offer :)

On another note, I got a little work done in the fish room. I was hoping to get the trim mounted on the bench but forgot to pick up finishing nails at the hardware store so that will have to wait until tomorrow. 

48694833023_242ed1abd0_h.jpg

48695347252_52ef4cd594_h.jpg

48695175801_aa80d5a3ec_h.jpg

Got the trim on the bench. After displacement of the sump and mixing station, it will hold about 6.4 gallons of water. I'm hoping to mock up all the plumbing tomorrow including the drain in the top of the bench (2" shower drain). After that, I'll apply the Red Guard and paint it white. If the moons align, I may have it up and running next weekend but I'm also waiting on the PanWorld 100px to arrive for the mixing station.

48701512511_29971914ec_h.jpg

Productive day!

First, I drilled the sump and installed the bulkheads (sure hope it holds water, I didn't test it before drilling...).

48708778791_248d16943a_h.jpg

Once I had that finished, I started working on the plenum that will drain the first three chambers (closest to furthest) along with the main return to the Snapper/Dart hybrid that will pump water up to the display (furthest bulkhead). All the bulkheads are threaded and the plumbing can be completely removed for maintenance without cutting anything.

48708938762_bfe642944d_h.jpg

The valve and union were a little tricky to get lined up nice but I measured twice and cut once (it actually saved my butt twice tonight).

48708938477_c6bf488049_h.jpg

I ran out of red PVC (and energy) so the rest is on hold for a few days until more supplies arrive but this illustrates what I'll be working on next. The mixing station sits to the right of this and everything will share that common drain along with the rest of the plumbing so I can transfer water back to the sump for a water change.

48708938157_4ebc6c4209_h.jpg