A New Dawn

madweazl

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really nice looking stand!  Need some pics of that nice looking planted tank behind the stand too :)

That's a really nice looking stand!  Need some pics of that nice looking planted tank behind the stand too :)

You'll have to hit up member BenA for info on that; he is the one building the stand and the owner of the planted tank :)

• 2 months later...

Stand and canopy came home today. BenA did a fantastic job and I cant thank him enough! Highly recommend him to anyone looking for a stand and canopy and if you arent considering custom, you should be.

28501035838_e783734219_b.jpg

Will look awesome once you paint it. Look awesome now even without it, cant wait to see it all complete.

• 2 weeks later...
Currently have a sump inside the stand but our new house has a basement so I'll be framing the "fish room" soon. Essentially runs from the polls on the left, to the back wall and just this side of the sewer lines to the right wall (12'x19'). The 75g is just past the second I-beam and the 150g is about 10' left of the polls that support the I-beams; They'll get plumbed to a common sump.

40814633760_045627d982_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Grabbed a 48" Aquatic Life fixture for the tank today along with two ATI Blue+, an ABS, and a P+. Also grabbed a fourth light tray to mount an additional Kessil A360WE.

(edited)

I've decided to scrap the plan to place this in the living room and will be installing it in my office instead. It will replace the 75g that is currently there but with the added size, it will take up more room in the office than I'm willing to lose. 

29100125708_d1e7260c21_b.jpg

To mitigate this, the tank will be mounted in wall. There is a bathroom closet to the right of the 75g (this would be looking into the right side of the aquarium as you stand in front of the tank)...

29100124218_6cd75ed639_b.jpg

... and a small bedroom closet to the left of 75g (the shelves to the left of the tank in the first picture is a ridiculous secret door into this closet).

42253920814_0ce5448800_b.jpg

I'll probably start the demo tomorrow, pending hang-over...

Edited by madweazl

• 1 month later...

Change #2

I've decided to leave the 150g in the living room and will replace the 75g with an in-wall 120g. It will be easier to fit into the space available and I really want a nice display in the living room as well. In that regard, we just had the living room repainted and matched all the trim to that of the stand.

Before

43989336111_b0ecd8c8b4_b.jpg

After

43940912012_edd7a630cd_b.jpg

Better lighting (tank goes on this wall)

43270611724_c2bd12ab94_b.jpg

The entry way will be done to match and then I'll turn to setting the tank up and plumbing it into the basement (which also needs framed out). It will be a while yet but it's a little progress.

That's a serious build right there. Very nice choices from tank to equipments. I wish I could have done that :D. I have no idea how to work with the wall and woods... :(. Keep me posted bro, very nice projects :D

• 2 weeks later...

Lots going on at the house but my wife was able to put a coat of paint on the stand/canopy while I was hard at work ripping all of the door trim and baseboards out of the foyer. Hopefully that all gets replaced and everything is painted by the end of the week. 

44261973182_43c0d51bf8_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
(edited)

So after much procrastination, the build is finally resuming. Ended up ordering a sump from Elite Aquatics that measures 48x20x16 (LxWxH) along with all of the plumbing. I forgot how much the blasted plumbing costs; barely cheaper than the darn sump! Build time looks to be 5-6 weeks on the sump but that gives me some time to get some things done in the basement.

40786767213_f6a1c6656d_b.jpg

40786766893_6577e7feb3_b.jpg

I've decided to keep the sump under the aquarium (for now) and I'm going to see about running a drain down to the basement along with a return line from the mixing station up to the sump with a switch wired in to turn it on and off to make water changes a breeze. Not the way I wanted to do it but the corals in the 75g are rapidly outgrowing the tank and I just cant push it off any longer. This will give me some much needed time to frame in the basement and get the fish room rolling how I want it. 

This weekend I'll cook the dry rock I have on hand and maybe even start to work on the aquascape; this will take some thought because I need to integrate the rock from the 75g for the beneficial life on it. The thought of losing the corals worries me but they'll just have to suck it up! 

Also ordered 160lbs of sand (mix of Fiji pink and special grade) along with six new T5s (3 Blue+, 2 AquaBlue Specials, and a Purple+). The current plan is to supplement with three Kessils but I might have to use a couple A360WEs until I can afford to grab two more A360X. 

Expensive day but it had to be done! 

Edited by madweazl