SCA aquarium feedback

madweazl

I've been checking out various manufacturers and stumbled across SCA's website and noticed their 150g (60x24x24) was fairly inexpensive. Do we have any members with SCA tanks that can comment on their quality? 

I have same 150g tank you are looking for.. tank quality was really good and comes with euro bracing too. Personally I wouldn’t recommend their stand or sump due to poor quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Would love to read madweazls review but link says members only. Shouldn't it be in vendor reviews?

Product reviews. They aren’t a vendor of WAMAS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a couple days to look over the tank so I thought I'd provide my initial thoughts in regard to quality. The tank was "crated" decently; it has 1" foam on all sides and the cardboard box it was shipped in was banded together well.

There were a few areas that worried me when the tank arrived but the contents were just fine.

37303029814_d436649db3_o.jpg

37958652536_72c4d3279c_o.jpg

38010967801_b3f91847a8_o.jpg

At $40 from SCA, the lid to the overflow is a total joke. The $17 lid from Modular Marine has a machined lip to keep in place (small lid on the bottom). There is nothing to prevent a rogue snail/critter from pushing the lid off the box). Dont waste your money on this piece. 

26234990599_6b3ccd7174_o.jpg

The overflow box is siliconed together which I found odd as the tank is large enough that an assembled unit could be siliconed to the back wall as a single structure. While purely cosmetic, the front panel of the overflow overhangs both side panels by about one millimeter (not illustrated well in the picture).

24160014508_5060ebc749_o.jpg

The silicone was done fairly well; I've certainly seen better but other than this small gap on the front panel (lower right), everything else looks pretty good (haven't thoroughly checked the back yet). 

37980950082_97b3dd7663_o.jpg

The glass edges have a nice chamfer but the polishing leaves a bit to be desired. The right half of the front panel was done fairly well (cant feel any knurling) but starting about mid way across the front panel and extending all the way to the left side, you can really feel the knurling. 

Right side (visible cut but smooth to touch)

37980950432_506d9f0518_o.jpg

Left side (easy to see and feel) 

24160014838_ede242a93d_o.jpg

How do I rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best?

Cosmetics - 7

Construction - 8

Value - 10

Customer service & shipping time - 10

At roughly 66% the cost of many other manufacturers, the SCAquariums 150g delivers a pretty nice aquarium for the cost and I'm certainly able to overlook the cosmetic issues for the money saved in this regard. 

Great writeup. Thanks so much for re-posting. Still happy with it? Did you get anything else with it (stand, plig n play package, etc)?

Anyone have experience with their skimmers? I am looking at one of their plug n play systems on Amazon.

I have a 90g cube from SCA and it is very good for the price point. I ordered the upgraded stand and not the MDF one, and it is solid with a steel inner frame. I also got the sump which is more than fine, the 302 skimmer is also not bad. If you bundle gear it starts to save you a ton of money. I ordered mine with rations, Vectra, Vortechs, skimmer, and sump. The customer service is also top notch and Steve is very responsive and replaces/resends items with no questions asked.

I essentially got an upgraded version of their PNP system.