"Brain Coral" - 1/2 container contest reef.

Schg

I would consider doing pompom xenia, 2 or 3 heads duncan, tiny green toadstool, and small piece of a thin branched gorgonian. Not anything encrusting, because if it starts growing in the curves you may never get rid of it.

Those are all good ideas, I might cut a small head off my current duncan for it. I haven't really had any toadstools since I first started almost a decade ago, I always remember having huge ones. I'll have to investigate them again.

If you do go for toadstool, get the green one. The tan one would be too boring.

It's kind of cool, you can play the effect by careful coral selection. Make people want to look, make them willing to make an effort to look through the curvy parts of the head.

If you do go for toadstool, get the green one. The tan one would be too boring.

It's kind of cool, you can play the effect by careful coral selection. Make people want to look, make them willing to make an effort to look through the curvy parts of the head.

Yeah I would definitely do green. I have a buddy who offered a small frag.

And that is very true! Although it is up in my office in the attic, so people won't often be seeing it in person hahah.

I've got a nice sized toadstool that would be perfect for this (green.) And a bunch of pulsing xenia. Make it look like a Dr. Sues head! 

On second thought about Xenia, wouldn't the xenia growth eventually fill the neck too much for adequate light to get to the other corals?

I've got a nice sized toadstool that would be perfect for this (green.) And a bunch of pulsing xenia. Make it look like a Dr. Sues head! 

darn Isaac, that would be awesome! I don't need too much of anything, I have 6 months for this thing to grow for the contest! Are we still meeting Sunday?

On second thought about Xenia, wouldn't the xenia growth eventually fill the neck too much for adequate light to get to the other corals?

While I normally would agree, my rock is a ton of small rocks together, so I would be able to have some control over it. I really miss having Xenia, as I haven't had it for years and don't trust it in my main display.

Maybe blue cespitularia would be just as good without the crazy growth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a good idea too, I have never actually owned any. I'll have to see who has some cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on progress?

I like this project so much that it almost feels personal! I have never felt that way about anyone else's tank projects, so it's kind of weird that I'm so drawn in with this one.

Any updates on progress?

I like this project so much that it almost feels personal! I have never felt that way about anyone else's tank projects, so it's kind of weird that I'm so drawn in with this one.

Hah, i love that you feel this way! I'll have to have you come check it out once it gets a little more filled.

I haven't taken any recent shots since I have been traveling, but there are about 6 kinds of zoas in there now, and a bunch of algae. I ended up switching to an air pump instead of the powerhead since it blocked too much light, but I realized that was the only thing keeping it warm. I will have to buy a temp controller and throw a heater in there, then I should be good to go!

FWIW, I picked up a cobalt neotherm for my nano (sump, mind you) and I'm super impressed with it's size. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Any pics or updates? I was following the thread a bit back, love the set up. haven’t seen anything new in a while. Don’t leave us hanging.

• 3 years later...
On 12/5/2017 at 10:52 PM, treesprite said:

Any update?

On 9/23/2018 at 3:29 PM, John-Solo said:

Any pics or updates? I was following the thread a bit back, love the set up. haven’t seen anything new in a while. Don’t leave us hanging.

Honestly I had a lot going on at the time, and kind of just dropped the hobby all of a sudden..... that being said, I just decided to start up another pico (rimless 3 gallon), and will be making a thread here / rejoining WAMAS soon. Sorry to disappoint with this one, but I still have the head if anyone wants to clean it out and take it over!