What temperature do your run your tank

WishNewFish

I want to see what temperature other members are running their reef tank at:

1. what is the temperature you run your tank at?

2. Does any of you skip the heater all together?

(There are always exceptions like large tanks needing chillers due to equipment/light transferring heat,

and homes or surroundings of the tank may not support favorable temperatures.

My responses:

I see my tank temperature between (74-76F) most of the time.  there are times when is went low as 72 and high as 80.

Although I have heater, I disconnected it and my tank is in sync with my home temperature.

In summers my home is between (72-76)

I might need to plugin in my heater in winter as temperatures begin to drop, but my home temperature never goes below 70 in winter.

Did you see any benefit or upside

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

None, the upside is that I don't run my heaters as much so I save power. I hate keeping my tank warm when I am running my ac at the same time. Especially when it doesn't seem to bother my corals or fish.

Darren

The same temperature as my house. My fish have to live with me, I don't live with them and it's my house :cool:

I really love your sense of humor, Paul........best reply so far.

None, the upside is that I don't run my heaters as much so I save power. I hate keeping my tank warm when I am running my ac at the same time. Especially when it doesn't seem to bother my corals or fish.

Darren

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I increased my temp from 74-75 to 77-78 and I see my corals extend polyps like fully!!

Down side is my fish are heavily stocked, eats like pigs, active and chasing each other.

I really love your sense of humor, Paul........best reply so far.

Mine is 78-79. I'm thinking about lowering it a bit to 75-76??

It's also true.  :cool:

Looks like a lot of people are lower than I thought was typical. I'm usually around 79-80. Never use heaters. Maybe I should drop the temp a degree or two.

I keep mine 78-80. I feel like warmer temps get faster growth. More energy. Downside is fish would be more active and need more food as well as the corals. Also I have two 500watt heaters. They are on a lot even in the summer since tank is in basement.

77-78 F.  Was running it at about 75, but see a bit more coral growth with the slight increase.

I do run one 75w heat (DT and sump have total water volume of 22g). I've toyed with the idea of dropping it back down a again now that my corals have filled in nicely ... but we tend to let our house get rather cool at night, particularly in winter (~68 F) so am not sure I'd feel comfortable giving it a go without a heater.

Edited by malacoda