Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does your link to your old red oak project instead link to gmail?  8)

Is that red oak project the one with the phosphorescent powder in it?

nice!!  I cant wait to see the new stand.

You and me both. I'm really excited to get it going. Probably drilling tonight. 

Why does your link to your old red oak project instead link to gmail?  8)

Is that red oak project the one with the phosphorescent powder in it?

That's a good question, probably because I was being careless. I've replaced the link. You can find it here as well. 

This is indeed the same project with the phosphorecent powder. It never quite came out the way I wanted, but it looks pretty neat, and it's a beautiful piece of Red Oak. I think the combo of that being the top, creating a lip around the actual rimless nano, will give a really nice look.

I'm probably going to ask some plumbing questions here soon. If memory serves, it's 1.5" hole for a 3/4 return bulkhead? 1.75 for a 1" drain bulkhead?

I'm probably going to ask some plumbing questions here soon. If memory serves, it's 1.5" hole for a 3/4 return bulkhead? 1.75 for a 1" drain bulkhead?

Depends if it's a standard or a Schedule 80 bulkhead. (Go over to Bulk Reef Supply if you have this question in the future because they publish the drill size for the bulkheads that they sell.)

For 3/4" - you want the hole to be bigger than 1.33" and no larger than 2 inches, preferably closer to the smaller side. So 1.5" (around 38 mm) is right in the sweet spot.

For 1" - You want to be between 1.65" and 2.67". Again, your calling out 1.75" is right where you want to be.

These are both for standard bulkheads. 

For Schedule 80, you'll want a 1.75" drill for a 3/4" bulkhead. And, you'll want a 2" hole for a 1" schedule 80 bulkhead.

Depends if it's a standard or a Schedule 80 bulkhead. (Go over to Bulk Reef Supply if you have this question in the future because they publish the drill size for the bulkheads that they sell.)

For 3/4" - you want the hole to be bigger than 1.33" and no larger than 2 inches, preferably closer to the smaller side. So 1.5" (around 38 mm) is right in the sweet spot.

For 1" - You want to be between 1.65" and 2.67". Again, your calling out 1.75" is right where you want to be.

These are both for standard bulkheads. 

For Schedule 80, you'll want a 1.75" drill for a 3/4" bulkhead. And, you'll want a 2" hole for a 1" schedule 80 bulkhead.

Thanks, Tom.

Well, took the plunge on drilling tonight. It's always nerve wrecking. I went a little fast, so I didn't get the cleanest break, but good enough. I was able to butt it up right into the corner, any closer, and it wouldn't have fit. I wanted it in the middle, but I was keeping in mind a return, and I don't have a lot of space to work with here. Already the real estate saved is magical, next step is getting the sump cleaned up.

23509584798_844e20ac08_k.jpg

36691454203_e8956790d0_k.jpg

36691454763_24a3b06f33_k.jpgDSC_0258

23509584168_7238976ed1_k.jpgDSC_0261

This is just be messing around with some rock I had. 

23509583398_e0fd5127a4_k.jpgDSC_0264

Looks perfect so far! Great job. And yeah, drilling tanks is never easy on my stress levels.

Thanks! I'm pleased! But I'll wait till I'm thrilled once I see how the water line sits. 

That tank is awfully close to your soundbar and tv. I'd be worried about splashing/evaporation/humidity/salt creep.

I'd be as well!this is where it sits dry, I have a custom built stand on the way, it'll sit on the other side of the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking swell!

Thanks!

I picked up a Reef Octopus 110 INT, started working out how the sump is going to be setup. I think I'm going to put my XHO reef brite above the center chamber and do a fuge. It will also be a nice working light for underneath. In the meantime, I'm stockpiling some goodies, but have the timers set on a terrible cycle for me to get pictures. Here's one just before lights out:

36777438814_5fcb7c9ea5_k.jpgDSC_0297 

Thanks!

I picked up a Reef Octopus 110 INT, started working out how the sump is going to be setup. I think I'm going to put my XHO reef brite above the center chamber and do a fuge. It will also be a nice working light for underneath. In the meantime, I'm stockpiling some goodies, but have the timers set on a terrible cycle for me to get pictures. Here's one just before lights out:

36777438814_5fcb7c9ea5_k.jpgDSC_0297

That looks awesome

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Stand is plugging along, looking really great:

e5002e2a6fccfb7264d42d9c2c08f57e.jpg

3a53d22804cef1b63d123b415571a6e6.jpg

Drilling for the return as soon as I can find a bit.

I'm getting very excited to throw this together. I'm about ready to get down into one tank. Originally I planned on doing two evergrow IT2080's, however, that plan recently changed when I saw Pizzaguy had a 4 bulb sunpower ATI FS. 4x54 ati 48" light.Although it'll be a little longer than the tank, if it's mounted against the wall, it should only extended 8" past the end of the tank. I can't decide if that will look funny or not, it will, however, only have two mounting points, vs four with the led's. 

I wouldn't have it extend over the tank. I would wait to find a 24" or a 36" fixture.

Or go baller and have a custom nanobox light made

I wouldn't have it extend over the tank. I would wait to find a 24" or a 36" fixture.

Yeah, I should have checked dimensions, I forgot I wrangled it down on the stand in order to fit the space better. 

I wish I could ball nanobox hard right now, but not yet. 

I ended up ordering a 36" ATI Sunpower. I think one day I'll switch to LED's, but this will be the cleanest option. I'm thankful the colder weather is getting here, I feel like even the t5 is going to heat up the place quite a bit. 

That's going to look really nice once you paint it.

It's just going to get some linseed oil and a very light stain, I think it's turned out really sharp. I've not seen the final product yet, but Ben has been doing a great job, and sending me pictures all along the way. 

I've started dabbling with Aquascapes tonight, and I'm finding myself extremely frusturated. One, knowing it will be viewed from 3 sides makes it challenging. Two, it's small. Once you start putting rock in here it fills up fast. Three, I'm not in love with the rock I have, but I think I'll end up using it. Four, did I mention it's small? 

I'm going to really like the idea of having to figure out what I want to keep, the careful planning here will keep my busy.

I've come up with a few scapes I could live with.

First left:

37170368873_4dc5623b56_k.jpg

First center:

37842104156_f477b175b4_k.jpg

First right:

37180366374_ed2077801e_k.jpg

Second right:

37842105006_eb929fe212_k.jpg

Second Center: 

37180365354_00e3be363f_k.jpg

Third Center:

37842104156_e062010bc8_z.jpg

Third Left:

37180364704_aa77a20fe4_k.jpg

Third Right:

37859140142_b930b649e1_k.jpg

Excuse the crap photos, hopefully they are OK. How about some votes on the aquascaping? 

Bare bottom or sand? Also what you planning to stock in it as far as coral?

Sand. Coral stocklist: dominant zoanthids, few choice SPS.

Hoping Dave will sell me some pectinia to keep up front as a show piece ;)

At the moment I like the second one

That's what I'm settling on as well

I like the second overall, and I like the third from the right but not the left. The stand looks absolutely stunning so far!!

I know Dave has his last and only (for at least the time being) NanoBox Hybrid available. It’s his personal unit and he isn’t listing it, but I know he was potentially going to be selling it. Might be more than you want to spend, but they are pretty amazing!